What's for dinner? - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just had some Caesar salad with a hard boiled egg...and a slice of blueberry pie with some vanilla ice cream.

The pie is leftover from Pi day, 3/14/16.......

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I want donuts.  Donuts for dinner.   But I will be having left over Pork Chile Verde from this weekend.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Corned beef and cabbage, of course! 
 With Irish soda muffins instead of soda bread.

I've never done corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot, so this is a bit of an experiment. But with working all day, there's no way I can get a meal like this on the table at a decent time. And I figured that using the crock pot would be a bit easier than the pressure cooker. So I threw the potatoes, carrots, and onion on the bottom of the sprayed crock pot, then added the corned beef on top with a few more onion slices. Mixed the seasoning packet in with the water and the beer (I didn't use a stout or a Guinness because I thought that could get ugly with the vegetables that long of a time). When I get home tonight, I'll take the corned beef out and tent it a bit, throw the coarsely shredded cabbage into the pot with the rest of the vegetables and then bake the muffins. The muffins should be done around the same time the cabbage is ready. 

I'm hoping to make Reuben sandwiches on Saturday for lunch. 
  (I love Reubens)

And I have to save some for Rick's mother; she already asked me if I was making corned beef and cabbage today, so I'll take some to her on Friday.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Corned beef and cabbage, of course! 
 With Irish soda muffins instead of soda bread.

I've never done corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot, so this is a bit of an experiment. But with working all day, there's no way I can get a meal like this on the table at a decent time. And I figured that using the crock pot would be a bit easier than the pressure cooker. So I threw the potatoes, carrots, and onion on the bottom of the sprayed crock pot, then added the corned beef on top with a few more onion slices. Mixed the seasoning packet in with the water and the beer (I didn't use a stout or a Guinness because I thought that could get ugly with the vegetables that long of a time). When I get home tonight, I'll take the corned beef out and tent it a bit, throw the coarsely shredded cabbage into the pot with the rest of the vegetables and then bake the muffins. The muffins should be done around the same time the cabbage is ready. 

I'm hoping to make Reuben sandwiches on Saturday for lunch. 
  (I love Reubens)

And I have to save some for Rick's mother; she already asked me if I was making corned beef and cabbage today, so I'll take some to her on Friday.
I've made many a corned beef in the crock pot. IMO it's the best way to do it.  Last year I glazed it after I took it out of the crock pot by mixing 

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup spicy brown mustard

simmer that in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar melts. brush some of the glaze over the corned beef and put it in a 325 oven for 30 minutes reglazing every 10 minutes. 

It is SO good. 

No corned beef for me. I did buy a small cabbage that I will slice up and saute with onions, garlic, a minced fresh jalapeno and some facon. I don't have any fresh potatoes. I do have some hash brown patties in the freezer though. That will work. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, Kat0121, thank you. I'll try that glaze tonight. Til the cabbage goes into the crock pot for 30 minutes and the muffins are done in 20, the corned beef will be ready to come out of the oven. It works. Yum.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Corned beef and cabbage, of course! :D  With Irish soda muffins instead of soda bread.

I'm hoping to make Reuben sandwiches on Saturday for lunch. :drool:   (I love Reubens)

Ditto! I have never made corned beef before and this morning on a whim I decided to try it. I ran to the grocery store and they were out. :lol3: I asked and they had just cut a very large piece into a few smaller pieces so I managed to get one. No seasoning packet though and every store in the area is out of pickling spice. I bought all of the separate spices and winged it. Well see how it goes. :cross:

That glaze does sound good. I may have to try it also.

Last edited:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing corned beef and cabbage! :) Homemade in the crock pot.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

I've made many a corned beef in the crock pot. IMO it's the best way to do it.  Last year I glazed it after I took it out of the crock pot by mixing 

1/2 cup water

simmer that in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar melts. brush some of the glaze over the corned beef and put it in a 325 oven for 30 minutes reglazing every 10 minutes. 

It is SO good. 

No corned beef for me. I did buy a small cabbage that I will slice up and saute with onions, garlic, a minced fresh jalapeno and some facon. I don't have any fresh potatoes. I do have some hash brown patties in the freezer though. That will work. 

Thanks, Kat....it was really good. Reminded me of a glaze that I use when we make ham loaf. I used 1/3 cup of water and cooked it down quite a bit. The muffins baked at 400 degrees, so I just threw the beef in at that temp, too. Good stuff!

Not sure yet about dinner tonight. Probably Reubens tonight instead of tomorrow for lunch. That corned beef was excellent.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks, Kat....it was really good. Reminded me of a glaze that I use when we make ham loaf. I used 1/3 cup of water and cooked it down quite a bit. The muffins baked at 400 degrees, so I just threw the beef in at that temp, too. Good stuff!

Not sure yet about dinner tonight. Probably Reubens tonight instead of tomorrow for lunch. That corned beef was excellent.
I'm so glad you liked it. I tried it for the first time last year and loved it. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am getting out today to grocery shop. I probably will pick up a rotisserie chicken from Wal Mart. We like the lemon pepper ones. :nod:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I ate way too much yesterday.. leftover pork chop, corn, sweet potato, blueberry pie....and chips for a snack

Today will be a tuna fish sandwich with chips.. 

I have to have chips when I have a tuna sandwich!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

Corned beef and cabbage, of course! :D  With Irish soda muffins instead of soda bread.

I'm hoping to make Reuben sandwiches on Saturday for lunch. :drool:   (I love Reubens)

1/2 cup water

It is SO good. 

I did this and liked it! :clap: I would do it again.

I pretty much winged a lot of the corned beef cooking yesterday as I had never done it before and had to come up with my own seasoning. It all came out really well. I need to write down what I did before I forget. :lol3:

Leftovers tonight. :nod:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope it all turned out wonderfully.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken, sweet potatoes, coleslaw, green leaves salad, rice and little patties made from cauliflower. Jolly nice, the patties.

Status
Not open for further replies.