Zylkene

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any side effects in their kitties when using zylkene? Specifically diarrhea?
Thanks

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, I've never had any problems with it. One of my cats took it every day for 6 months, another has been taking it for the past few weeks without any problems.

According to Zylkene - A Remedy for Stress Relief for Dogs and Cats

Zylkene is a non-prescription drug and is safe, as it is a natural product. Zylkene is not known to have any side effects and it can be given with other treatments. Zylken is even appropriate for sensitive animals, as it is hypo-allergenic and preservative and lactose free.

Are you mixing it with your cats regular food?

Dickie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used it for several weeks in my six cats for a vacances move. And two if it caused diarrhea, one was mild, only diarrhea for two days, then poop normalized. But it lasted four days for someone cat else and I stopped giving it to them. My vet told me that I was probably intolerant to milk derivative. But the others did wonderfully well and very quiet and relax

If your cat is intolerant to derivates milk, it will probably also cause diarrhea, depending on the degree of intolerance, it may only last a few days or it will always last...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I've never had any problems with it. One of my cats took it every day for 6 months, another has been taking it for the past few weeks without any problems.

According to Zylkene - A Remedy for Stress Relief for Dogs and Cats

Zylkene is a non-prescription drug and is safe, as it is a natural product. Zylkene is not known to have any side effects and it can be given with other treatments. Zylken is even appropriate for sensitive animals, as it is hypo-allergenic and preservative and lactose free.

Are you mixing it with your cats regular food?
Yes, mixing with wet food.
What you quoted is what I found online too.....so it made me question if this could be causing diarrhea in my cat. After looking online for quite a while, I couldn't find much at all regarding side effects. I have a new kitty on this who continues to have diarrhea. She is totally fine otherwise - completely healthy, alert, playing, eating, drinking etc., so I thought maybe it was a combination of the stress from the move, and zylken....

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used it for several weeks in my six cats for a vacances move. And two if it caused diarrhea, one was mild, only diarrhea for two days, then poop normalized. But it lasted four days for someone cat else and I stopped giving it to them. My vet told me that I was probably intolerant to milk derivative. But the others did wonderfully well and very quiet and relax

If your cat is intolerant to derivates milk, it will probably also cause diarrhea, depending on the degree of intolerance, it may only last a few days or it will always last...
Thanks for this information. Its interesting that some cats had problems with it. Like I said in another post, my cat seems totally healthy otherwise...so I really think it is something other than a medical condition. She is new, so there is a change of place and food, but its been going on long enough that the change of food should be resolved by now. She also is slooooowly getting more comfortable, so stress is going down.....I'm wondering if she is intolerant to milk derivatives.....

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There are other things that can cause loose stool. Intestinal parasites is the most obvious one. Has she been seen by a vet? A fecal smear would be a simple way to test for worms.

In the meantime try adding a spoonful of plain, cooked pumpkin, blended to a paste, to her wet food. Most cats love this and it's a good way to settle an upset tummy.

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are other things that can cause loose stool. Intestinal parasites is the most obvious one. Has she been seen by a vet? A fecal smear would be a simple way to test for worms.

In the meantime try adding a spoonful of plain, cooked pumpkin, blended to a paste, to her wet food. Most cats love this and it's a good way to settle an upset tummy.
Yes, she had a fecal test done right before adoption. I adopted from a rescue, and it is one that does an absolutely wonderful job caring for their animals. I got the vet report, and she had a through exam including fecal - it was negative. That is why it is confusing. She came to me in good shape. The man who did the adoption said she did really well at the vet and had a totally clean bill of health...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If she seems happy enough in her new home maybe it's time to take her off the Zylkene?

It wouldn't hurt to try a bit of pumpkin to see if it settles her stomach. If that doesn't help call your vet and see what they suggest.