Zorbium Effects Post-Surgery

CalicoPenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
This was one of the first places a I looked to see what people had to say about this medication, so I thought I would add my story as well, for people to find 🙂, since it seems to be a fairly recently approved medication for cats.

My 15 y.o. cat Penny had a dental cleaning and a number of extractions on Friday (today is now
Wednesday). The vet tech asked before the surgery if I was comfortable administering [pain] meds to my cat in the days after surgery. I haven’t ever had to give my cat medicine, so I wasn’t super comfortable. They said they had a pain med that could be injected under the skin and would last 4 days, so I wouldn’t have to do anything.

Evening after surgery: Penny had dilated pupils, and just wandered around, occasionally sitting but not lying down. Forgot how to drink water, kept getting her chin and neck all wet. Seemed pretty paranoid

Day 2: Still quite restless, occasionally lying down but still on alert and not resting her head down. Still a little on edge Did figure out how to drink properly 😆. Pupils still dilated.

Day 3: Personality starting come back, lying down most of the day, sometimes resting her head, but not really closing her eyes. Pupils still pretty dilated.

Day 4: Starting to act pretty normal, but I still never caught saw her actually sleeping. Eyes looking a little more normal.

Day 5: Actually slept, seemed back to normal personality-wise🙂

So, in summary, my cat didn’t really sleep for 4 days (unless she did while I was asleep) - and this seems not uncommon if you google what people have to say about Zorbium. And after the 4 days or so that it takes the medicine to start to wear off, she’s doing just fine.(Note: she had a good appetite and drank plenty of water during this time).

Attached some photos of my cat on the evening of surgery, and a day or two later, laying down but not looking very restful.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me just start by saying:
Awwwww!!! I love her and her little chonky little self! She is absolutely adorable!
The first day when you say she forgot how to drink that could have been from the anesthesia.. I say this because my cat after her spay surgery couldn't eat or drink. She couldn't even walk or stand up for about 16 to 18 hours. In this time we had brought her food and water to her and we could tell she wanted a drink and eat she put her head in the bowls with no luck for either the food or water... *note she was not on zorbium*
So it could have just been the anesthesia messing with Penny's ability to drink
I'm glad she is back to normal now. Did she run around a lot or was she just restless? I've seen people say their cats were running around like crazy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CalicoPenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First let me just start by saying:
Awwwww!!! I love her and her little chonky little self! She is absolutely adorable!
The first day when you say she forgot how to drink that could have been from the anesthesia.. I say this because my cat after her spay surgery couldn't eat or drink. She couldn't even walk or stand up for about 16 to 18 hours. In this time we had brought her food and water to her and we could tell she wanted a drink and eat she put her head in the bowls with no luck for either the food or water... *note she was not on zorbium*
So it could have just been the anesthesia messing with Penny's ability to drink
I'm glad she is back to normal now. Did she run around a lot or was she just restless? I've seen people say their cats were running around like crazy
She didn’t run around a lot, just restless

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t like this particular pain medication. I think buprenex is great for cats but this transdermal product causes so many issues that I have seen. Paranoid hyped up cats for days.
I've read about a lot of cats being hyper for days on that medicine... there was one who was spayed and she ran around going crazy the first few days right after having surgery..

Is this a new medicine? I've never heard of it until reading some of the threads on here.