Ziwipeak Venison Wet/dry?

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again everyone :)

I'm slowly transitioning Kona from NV Instinct Chicken to Ziwipeak Venison (3 oz) because there's a chance she might have a chicken allergy. On the Ziwipeak label I noticed that the 3 oz can is only about 85 kcals so I'm wondering what else I could feed on top of that to meet her calories for the day. I'm trying to stay away from NV Instinct for now because I'm wondering if something in the formula is what's making her throw up hairballs once a week. I wanted to buy the bag of Ziwipeak venison dry but it's pretty expensive :( The small 3 oz cans it self are $3 each! Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - you could try a variety of brands rather than just one although I realize that can make it more complicated if a person ends up having to determine what specifically is causing an allergy.
I'm using Merrick Backcountry turkey and also their rabbit. I'm using small amounts of the Ziwipeak venison dry as a treat. There's also American Journey - they were on sale on chewy and might still be. Something else I found for dry is called GoodLife.
Good luck!

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you know she likes ZiwiPeak Venison you can buy the larger can by the case, which cuts the expense considerably. Which is not to say it becomes cheap. I have had very good luck with ZP Venison. Ailish likes it and she thrived on it exclusively for 10 weeks while I did an elimination. I looked for sales at several online sites and did manage to catch some good ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you know she likes ZiwiPeak Venison you can buy the larger can by the case, which cuts the expense considerably. Which is not to say it becomes cheap. I have had very good luck with ZP Venison. Ailish likes it and she thrived on it exclusively for 10 weeks while I did an elimination. I looked for sales at several online sites and did manage to catch some good ones.
Hi there! Thanks for the reply. I did notice that they had the bigger cans. I gave her only about a fourth of the venison yesterday and she projectile vomited twice ;(( So I don't think I'm going to keep feeding it to her... I'm honestly not even sure if she's allergic to chicken... She seems fine but just has hairballs once a week. May I ask what kind of allergy symptoms your cat started showing?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys never would eat Ziwi....wet or dry, cats. If she is just throwing up hairballs once a week it may not be a chicken allergy, what does your vet think? do you brush her daily? and a bath every once in a while can help with a cat that sheds a lot?

when i am looking for a new food i try to go to a few big pet stores and browse :) buy several different thing and see what they like. Luckily my cats dont throw up much at all except my one male if he gets too hungry he will scarf and barf :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guys never would eat Ziwi....wet or dry, cats. If she is just throwing up hairballs once a week it may not be a chicken allergy, what does your vet think? do you brush her daily? and a bath every once in a while can help with a cat that sheds a lot?

when i am looking for a new food i try to go to a few big pet stores and browse :) buy several different thing and see what they like. Luckily my cats dont throw up much at all except my one male if he gets too hungry he will scarf and barf :(
I actually took her to the vet and she said her bloodwork and everything looks normal! That's when she recommended her to eat a hydrolyzed diet for a couple months but I'm honestly not comfortable giving her Hill's or Royal Canin. I think she's just been shedding a lot since winter time started?? I've been slowly getting her to like getting brushed but she hates it LOL We recently gave her a bath and there was a lot of hair. So I think it might just be a hairball problem since the vet says everything is fine! I just feel bad for her because she's been consistently throwing up huge hairballs once a week :( Will continue to keep trying to brush her though! :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually took her to the vet and she said her bloodwork and everything looks normal! That's when she recommended her to eat a hydrolyzed diet for a couple months but I'm honestly not comfortable giving her Hill's or Royal Canin. I think she's just been shedding a lot since winter time started?? I've been slowly getting her to like getting brushed but she hates it LOL We recently gave her a bath and there was a lot of hair. So I think it might just be a hairball problem since the vet says everything is fine! I just feel bad for her because she's been consistently throwing up huge hairballs once a week :( Will continue to keep trying to brush her though! :)
you may want to look at Dr. Elseys on chewy? i feed my cats the chicken, they love it. I think its one of the best dry foods out there. im not a fan of their wet foods, but i like the dry. Im not saying go against the vet, but im not a big fan of hills or RC either. Maybe ask her about Elseys? keep up the brushing, and occasional bath :) best of luck.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guys never would eat Ziwi....wet or dry, cats.”

A little off topic, but can someone tell me WHY ZiwiPeak is considered such a good food? It’s terribly expensive and according to the food data base that duckpond refers to often, it has pretty high carbs and only average protein levels—-and it has chickpeas (the wet). That just doesn’t seem to be an excellent food that would be worth the expense. Just trying to understand the criteria folks use for choosing the best foods.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ziwi wet is a bit high carb for my taste as well. I think one of the big pluses for it is no chicken, people that try to avoid poultry have a hard time finding many foods. The venison is all venison, the lamb is all lamb, same with the beef, thats hard to find. I do like the named organ meat in the wet and dry, thats kind of hard to find too. No Gums or carageenan in the food is a big plus, and i imagine the reason for the chick peas in the wet. No vegetable oils, again hard to find. It also has a fairly limited ingredient list, which i like. Other than a bit high in carbs i think it looks like a clean food. My cats just don't like it. I wish they did, i would add it in the rotation.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Merrick makes a Backcountry rabbit pouch that has rabbit, beef, and lamb, no poultry. Also I believe that Redbarn makes a lamb pate that is poultry free!