Yummy Fresh Meat

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Took an hour to feed her. I gave her canned food left over from the fridge. Wouldn't eat it. So I added some fresh food,. Wouldn't eat. Tried a different food with pieces of meat mixed in, wouldn't eat. Then I tried removing the tray. No luck. Also,since I'm in an apartment on the first floor,the footsteps bother her. Finally gave her food not left over, no cold meat mixed in,and she ate. Wish the 3oz cans weren't so expensive. This only happens in the morning. Then 10 minutes after eating she comes back for more I know it's the food because she will sit right in front of it and look up on the counter or smell my other cats bowls
Is there a way to not make my cat so picky? Having someone take care of my cats when on a trip will be hard

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also have one very picky cat, and sometimes he will eat, and sometimes he won't. It's nerve wracking, to say the least. Do you feed the same food all the time? Some cats like variety, some don't. Maybe yours is looking for a little variety, it's hard to say. Maybe you are giving her too much variety, I don't know since you didn't mention whether or not when you gave her a fresh can it was the same food or not. I would venture to say, though, that most cats don't like it straight from the fridge. I always either set the leftovers out on the counter about an hour before meal time, or I pop it in the microwave on defrost (after putting it in the bowl with a little water) for about 8 seconds prior to serving it up. Many times, even doing that, I still need to use toppers. Have you tried doing that? You could use many things as toppers...crushed treats, FortiFlora, tuna water, parmesan cheese, etc. Many times I just end up picking the food up and doing something else for awhile and then putting it out again for my picky guy and THEN maybe he'll eat. I don't put it in the fridge though unless I'm just not going to give it to him until the next meal time. If it's just going to be an hour or two until I try again, I will put his bowl in a ziploc bag and set it on the counter so it doesn't dry out. But my two cats are as different as night and day when it comes to eating. One eats as soon as his bowl hits hisi placemat, and the other takes hours (it seems like hours anyway) to finish ONE meal. It's a good thing he's so cute, because he drives me nuts :lol:

I'm not sure there is anything you can do to make them not picky. And when you have a catsitter, it may BE an issue, but then again, my catsitters always tell me they eat great. I swear my picky one just has me wrapped around his little paw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I give her chicken,turkey,duck,lamb,and beef pate. For toppers I use canidae,wild frontier,or bonito flakes. Her toppers have pieces of meat. Warming it in the micro wave the food is slop and she will not eat it. I think in the morning the food must have a fresh scent. I did try leaving it out once but didnt work. Sometimes she just wants to play. Her fav toy is the go cat catcher. Probably because of the mouse. She puts it in her mouth and will not let go! She wants to eat it! 6yrs old

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Wild Frontier solved the problem this morning. Turkey/duck in cutlets
High protein,high fat, zero carbs. Ate bother portions at the same time. Didnt come back for more. I guess mornings she eats like a wild cat

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a foodie cat as well and she will only eat the wet food fresh from the can and in small portions. I think it’s normal since the small cats in the wild would eat often and small, fresh creatures. As a result, I feed my cats 5 times a day. In the morning we give them food every 2 hours before we leave (around 8 and 10am) and I do not refrigerate the open can- I would just cover it or transfer the food to the glass jar and hide in the cool place, and then serve it again in 2 hours. I’m sure it shouldn’t be recommended though, but it works for us. I do the same in the afternoon. My cat would not eat refrigerated food no matter how I warm it up and she wouldn’t eat the food from her bowl if it stays there for more than 10 minutes. However, when we travel, I noticed that suddenly her pickiness disappears:) we have a cat sitter coming two times a day and she gives them bigger portions twice a day, and I saw through the WiFi camera that she comes back to her bowl and eat it with no problem.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a foodie cat as well and she will only eat the wet food fresh from the can and in small portions. I think it’s normal since the small cats in the wild would eat often and small, fresh creatures. As a result, I feed my cats 5 times a day. In the morning we give them food every 2 hours before we leave (around 8 and 10am) and I do not refrigerate the open can- I would just cover it or transfer the food to the glass jar and hide in the cool place, and then serve it again in 2 hours. I’m sure it shouldn’t be recommended though, but it works for us. I do the same in the afternoon. My cat would not eat refrigerated food no matter how I warm it up and she wouldn’t eat the food from her bowl if it stays there for more than 10 minutes. However, when we travel, I noticed that suddenly her pickiness disappears:) we have a cat sitter coming two times a day and she gives them bigger portions twice a day, and I saw through the WiFi camera that she comes back to her bowl and eat it with no problem.
Same here.5x a day and cat sitters have no problem. So she gives her owner more trouble than someone that comes once a year and 3x a day. My other 2 cats don't act like that. Her sitter said Maggie looked like a mini leopard. She does act like one!