Yue reminds me of a ragdoll

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Note that lalagimp's cat Yue came up with a very LOW probability match to Maine Coon. It's actually not likely she has much Maine Coon in her (if any). Please see the image lalagimp posted:

YueTop3Basepaws.jpg

I put that in my signature for fun. But she's ten pounds!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For comparison, here is an image Basepaws has on their web site with the following explanation: "If this is what your cat’s report looks like, then your cat’s DNA is not a strong match with any of the purebred cats in our database. In other words, your cat is a Domestic (or an untested breed)."

You can see how the blue bars in this image are close to the center where it says "Domestic," similar to Yue's top result. This is how Basepaws reports a LOW probability "match."

qC8YK.jpg

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the first three results are the ones that are a closest match. doesn't mean it's a strong match but there is some dna similar to those breeds present. that means the strongest (Even if not super strong) is mc in this kitty.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basepaws reports a list of breed matches for every single cat tested, even though most cats, according to their own web site, are 100% domestic and have no purebred ancestors:
"Unlike dogs, most cats do not have purebred ancestors. If our report focused on the breakdown of cat family trees, the majority of cats would come back 100% Domestic."​
If the blue bars are close to Domestic, as in the image, that means the match is very weak. Sure, all cats share DNA with other cats, but is such a low probability match actually meaningful? According to Basepaws, it does not indicate breed ancestry when it's close to the center.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone is saying she's anything near purebred. but she does have some mc. they say most cats are just domestic yes.. but in america maine coon is a domestic breed.

in another thread @kdm1984 showed similar results and contacted them and they responded that the top result was the closest dna match.

"I also just got further explanation from Basepaws -- while my cat is clearly DSH, her Egyptian Mau results at the top aren't random or meaningless; that is, in fact, the breed to which she is closest to per their sequencing."

Basepaws Dna Test For Cats?

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone is saying she's anything near purebred. but she does have some mc.
"Closest DNA match" doesn't necessarily indicate that the cat has that breed in her ancestry. EVERY cat is going to have a "closest DNA match" breed that Basepaws puts at the top of the chart, but for the vast majority of cats, that "closest DNA match" breed will not actually be an ancestor.

Think of it this way. Basepaws also includes a "Wild Cat index" with 16 wild cats. On the Wild Cat Index, you may get Snow Leopard as "closest DNA match," but this doesn't mean your cat has snow leopard ancestors. :)

"The Basepaws Alpha Report also includes comparisons of your cat to 16 different wild cats. Wild cats that have been compared to your cat are listed in order of best match. Our Wild Cat Index tells you which wild cats your cat is most related to, ranked in comparison to other cats in our database.
If this is what your cat’s Wild Cat report looks like, then your cat (compared to most housecats) has more DNA in common with Snow leopard and Puma.
Most wild cats, like Snow Leopards, cannot breed with housecats. If your cat has more DNA in common with Snow Leopards than other cats, it is probably caused by random inheritance.
[...]
On an individual basis, your cat will have slightly more or less than 95.6% of their DNA in common with a tiger. This individual metric is based on random inheritance from your cat’s ancestors. The same type of random inheritance is also true for humans and is the reason why one sibling might look much more like a great grandparent than the other sibling."​