Yucca in cat food? What are these food manufacturers doing?! Yucca is listed on the pet poison hotline.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found two companies who added Yucca to their cat food. Yucca is.listed as a poison on the pet poison hotline What are these cat food companies doing?!!!

IMG_3498.png
IMG_3700.png

Better check your ingredients list for your cat food!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only certain types of Yucca are poisonous and only if the Yucca is raw. The Yucca added to pet foods or sold separately in feed stores has been properly prepared so that it is not harmful.
I used to feed it to my horses on occasion (when needed) and it actually saved one of my dogs life. The benefits of properly prepared Yucca have medicinal properties that are advantageous.
That being said, unless you need the medicinal properties, I don't think a healthy animal needs the stuff. Plus, it smells terrible.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What companies did you find? Where is the yucca listed on the ingredients list?
I have never given it to cats, but, I have used it for my dogs as it really helps inflammation...IF given in small, correct dosages. These days, I'm using Green Lipped Mussels powder.
Jojo&Tutu Jojo&Tutu I do appreciate your being a "watchdog" of sorts on these things though. It's important to question everything!