Yowling just because vocal? Scratching because he can?

cait s cannon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a seven month old (i dont know the breed, he was born from two street cats) cat that, despite having a very regular play schedule, still yowls like all the time. He's pretty much always been this loud (Ive had him for four months) and I don't really know how to further make his life better. He seems bored and occasionally does the night time/ yoga session ankle and wrist attacks. I want to know, is this just kitten territory still? How do you all react to the latching and back leg bunny kicking attacks? I know punishment isnt a thing for cats, but I find it very hard to just stand and take it while he makes my wrists look so banged up. Kilgore is an angel about 85 percent of the time, almost clingy. He was neutered about a week and a half ago.

I've attached his photo just because

Any advice is so appreciated, also if anyone wants to share their play schedule with their furry buds I would also love more ideas!

Cait

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The neutering will calm those yowls somewhat and some aggressiveness, but it takes weeks for his hormones to be completely gone. He IS still a kitten, so 'attacks' are still pretty common at that age, I would get him one of those long stuffed kickaroos, my cats LOVE to bunny kick them all day. I've got one cat that is 7 yaers old, and believe me I wouldn't think of touching his stomach. If he has got Siamese in him at all, believe me, they are very vocal. He would probably do very well with a playmate, if at all possible,
but if not, just offer him the kickaroo instead of touching his stomach. If he becomes too aggressive, say no loudly and walk away and leave the room, or give him a 5 minute time out in a bedroom. Longer time outs or physical punishment do not work with cats, they do not strive to please us and are not a pack animal. They just become afraid of you and timid. Age is what he needs to calm down, when he gets older you'll wonder how he can sleep so much! All the luck, and keep us posted!

Last edited: