Yowling Cat

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
So Midway has started yowling at the top of his lungs in the morning. Usually my daughter having her bedroom door shut is one thing that triggers it, me going into the kitchen (where the cat food isn't kept and it's a couple of hours after they are fed) is another thing that triggers it. But there are also those odd mornings where he just yowls to yowl.

It only happens in the morning, which is the weird thing. Unless my husband has a day off and is sleeping in, it's sandwiched between him leaving and me getting fully functional downstairs. But not the entirety of the time, mainly the last hour before I decide that I really have to be conscious. As strange as it sounds, if he's yowling before I want to get up, I can put him in my room and shut the door so he's shut in and that will stop it for an hour or so.

Right now I yell back at him, which relieves my stress level but does nothing to modify his behavior as he ignores me, and it's not a big deal. I'm renting a townhouse and whoever put in the connecting walls soundproofed the heck out of them, we hear nothing and aren't heard. But we are planning to relocate soon and he is far too loud for a typical apartment, if you want to live peacefully with your neighbors.

Help!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Hi arouetta arouetta ! I've just discovered your post while going through some of the unanswered posts from a few weeks back - did you ever figure out a way to resolve Midway's yowling issue? I'm so sorry that no one answered this before now! :paperbag:

My rainbow cat Wesley used to yowl like that sometimes as does Paul (rarely) and I've always had the sense they were expressing a restless dissatisfaction with their surroundings rather than actually trying to communicate with me. Has Midway's routine changed in any way? I'd be curious to hear if you figured out what to do since a yowling cat in an apartment, as you point out, will not be popular with the neighbors.