Yowling At Night

Squishthewhale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I have joined today to ask a question around my cat's behaviour

She is around 8yrs old, a rescue with a nervous disposition. We've had her for 5yrs.

Sometimes during the night she wakes us up by coming into the bedroom crying. I say crying because it's a really hollow and sad sounding yowl, not like any noise she makes during the day time. She won't stop until she's comforted- sometimes calling out to her works, but sometimes I have to get out of bed and fuss her. The first time she ever did this was after we left her alone overnight for the first time, but she now does it on and off even when we haven't been away.

Is this just nervous behaviour, her wanting to reassure herself that we are still here? Or something else? She is clearly wanting us as she comes into the bedroom to do it, she's not yowling out of the window at other cats or anything (she hates other cats). She isn't asking for food or asking to play as she has specific behaviours for that.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of my cats have done that at one time or another, usually with a toy in their mouth, walking around making a mournful cry. My current cat also makes the noise. I think it's loneliness. I have no scientific proof, but when I cuddle or acknowledge her, she perks back up and is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Squishthewhale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of my cats have done that at one time or another, usually with a toy in their mouth, walking around making a mournful cry. My current cat also makes the noise. I think it's loneliness. I have no scientific proof, but when I cuddle or acknowledge her, she perks back up and is fine.
Thank you, glad to know it's not just my little girl! She is quite clingy so it could definitely be loneliness. All she wants is a fuss usually (although sometimes then she is like 'well now you are awake how about playing with me'!)

Squishthewhale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Trin does this. He sounds inconsolable and he has a “comfort toy”. When he sees us, he spits it out and quiets down. It’s gotten as bad as a few times of day and he even does this when he leaves a room we were in. He’s done this at least since I’ve known him, and my BF said it started after his last cat died, even though they were never close.

We did find putting a Sentry calming collar on him seemed to help, but it didn’t stop it completely.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats love routine and habits and are experts at figuring out what gets them what they want. You probably don’t want to live the next decade with a cat yowling at you in the middle of the night so as much as this girl wants attention, you don’t want to reward her when she does. So when she wakes you up, you first you warn her with calling her name or telling her “quiet, bedtime” or such and then if she continues to yowl, you pick her up without talking or cuddles and shut her outside your room until you are ready to get up. Every single time, no matter how long she fusses outside your door. It will work if you are consistent.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this is a new behavior I would be more concerned. Have you changed anything recently? My friend had two cats, and all of the sudden one started yeowling at night, she was 11 years old never done it before. My friend figured out that she was having a hard time seeing, her night eyesight was getting bad. So she was actually getting lost in the house that she had known for all those years, she could not find her way back and was scared. Maybe that? I know that she got some plug ins that helped calm here and she no longer let her roam at night, she kept her in the bedroom, put the litter box in the adjacent bathroom and shut the door. That solved it.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My skittish Sqeeker, who doesn't allow cuddles out of bed, will sometimes do that in the middle of the night. I'll call to him and usually he'll come for a cuddle but if he doesn't I don't get out of bed.

At 8yrs she could have a little arthritis. Can you put a hassock next to the bed to make sure she can get up?

RCM mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Rupert does this when we go to bed, think he just does not want to be left alone. Once he finds us all is fine.

Squishthewhale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Trin does this. He sounds inconsolable and he has a “comfort toy”. When he sees us, he spits it out and quiets down. It’s gotten as bad as a few times of day and he even does this when he leaves a room we were in. He’s done this at least since I’ve known him, and my BF said it started after his last cat died, even though they were never close.

We did find putting a Sentry calming collar on him seemed to help, but it didn’t stop it completely.
Yes my girl sounds inconsolable too! She won't wear a collar (probably because she never had one before we adopted her) so sadly can't try that. The one time we tried one on here she freaked the heck out and got herself all stuck in it

Cats love routine and habits and are experts at figuring out what gets them what they want. You probably don’t want to live the next decade with a cat yowling at you in the middle of the night so as much as this girl wants attention, you don’t want to reward her when she does. So when she wakes you up, you first you warn her with calling her name or telling her “quiet, bedtime” or such and then if she continues to yowl, you pick her up without talking or cuddles and shut her outside your room until you are ready to get up. Every single time, no matter how long she fusses outside your door. It will work if you are consistent.
I am sure you are totally right but honestly I don't have the heart to ignore her or shut her out. She had a hard start in life before we adopted her and it took a long time to earn her trust, so we let her get away with murder. I'd rather have disturbed sleep than upset her (now I'm aware I sound like a crazy cat lady!)

If this is a new behavior I would be more concerned. Have you changed anything recently? My friend had two cats, and all of the sudden one started yeowling at night, she was 11 years old never done it before. My friend figured out that she was having a hard time seeing, her night eyesight was getting bad. So she was actually getting lost in the house that she had known for all those years, she could not find her way back and was scared. Maybe that? I know that she got some plug ins that helped calm here and she no longer let her roam at night, she kept her in the bedroom, put the litter box in the adjacent bathroom and shut the door. That solved it.
Not a new behaviour- she's done it for years, although it's on and off. Usually it's after we've been away for a night, although this time we hadn't been. We did move house 6 months ago but after the first few weeks she settled in nicely.

My skittish Sqeeker, who doesn't allow cuddles out of bed, will sometimes do that in the middle of the night. I'll call to him and usually he'll come for a cuddle but if he doesn't I don't get out of bed.

At 8yrs she could have a little arthritis. Can you put a hassock next to the bed to make sure she can get up?
She isn't the most agile of cats in general but has no problems jumping up on the windowsill which is higher than our bed so hopefully no arthritis. She isn't a cuddly cat and only ever jumps on the bed to bug us to wake up in the morning- when she's doing the wailing she does it from the floor or the hallway

My Rupert does this when we go to bed, think he just does not want to be left alone. Once he finds us all is fine.
Aww bless him. I think this is the most likely case and she just doesn't want to be alone.

Thank you for all the replies- it's interesting to see she's not the only kitty who does this and that it's nothing major to worry about hopefully.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We don’t ignore Trin either. When he does this, not only does he sound so anguished but he doesn’t come seek us out, he stomps around the room in distress. It doesn’t feel like a cry for attention but more like confusion and pain. So we go up to him and talk sweetly.