Your inept little hunter

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Disclaimer: I would be heartbroken if I lost Bud, and worried about him out there in the big scary world. This just came out of a "what if?" with a friend recently while talking about what a brat my cat is.

If he somehow got separated, and lost for a few days, and encountered a group of strays:

"Hi, I'm Buddy!"

Stray cats look at each other, start laughing.

"Who wants to play? Got any toys?"

"Go away, kid. It's daytime. We're sleeping."

A few hours later...

"I'm hungry! When does the Big Buddy come with the food?"

"The who?"

"The Big Buddy! He brings the food! I want turkey!"

Once again, stray cats find this hilarious and just laugh at him.

"You want turkey, kid? There's a nice little farm upstate...you just have to go 150 miles to get there!"

"150 miles? That sounds like a lot. What about chicken, do we have chicken? Or beef? Mmmm, beef! I could even eat duck!"

"Does this look like a restaurant? Look up, kiddo, there's lunch."

Points to birds.

"Ewwww. No, I want chicken, or beef! Oooh, kibble!"

Bounds over to a pile of kibble and drives face-first into it. But...it's not kibble?!?!

"Hahahaha, that's bird poop, kid! You ate pellets!"

Stray cats take him dumpster diving...

"Ah, this is the life, kid! Hakuna matata!"

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hankuna matata!  

That's kind of the way I picture it going with Speck.  My girls could survive outside, they've all done it before they came to live with us, but my boy is the baby.  He did kill a huge spider once, though.  When I went to bed, he was pawing at a critter that was underneath something.  I could only see its legs, so I figured it was a cute, harmless bug.  I woke to find a dead spider of tarantula proportions in my kitchen floor.  Well, maybe he wasn't quite that  big, but I am scared of spiders and he was a pretty large one.   

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty did chase an actual bird one night.  It followed me in the house.  For true.  Neither bird nor cat escaped unscathed.  And she does that chattering thing at the birds in the tree outside our window.  I actually think she might hunt.  The instincts seem to be there.

HOWEVER...I don't know that she's survive the Temptations withdrawals.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hekitty did chase an actual bird one night.  It followed me in the house.  For true.  Neither bird nor cat escaped unscathed.  And she does that chattering thing at the birds in the tree outside our window.  I actually think she might hunt.  The instincts seem to be there.

HOWEVER...I don't know that she's survive the Temptations withdrawals.
The Temptations withdrawals are rough.  We had to give up the treats for all because of Daisy's strict diet due to CHF. Now they only get Temptations on rare special occasions, like Christmas.  (Daisy too, of course.)  They never forget, though, now matter how long it's been since the last bag.  Accidentally shake a bag of potato chips and everybody comes running.

DH and I have had cats almost since we were first married, and there's never been an issue with rats or mice getting into the house.  However, we bought a new dishwasher and a mouse got in, probably while we were having it installed.  One night, I heard him behind the refrigerator.  I got a flashlight and shined it in the small gap between the refrigerator and the cabinet.  My cats joined me in floor to watch for it.  I am not scared of mice.  But we were all concentrating so intently that when he stuck his head out, I screamed and cats scattered!  The mouse ran behind the stove, never to be seen or heard from again.  I think he decided he didn't want to be with us anymore.  Too much drama.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

The Temptations withdrawals are rough.  We had to give up the treats for all because of Daisy's strict diet due to CHF. Now they only get Temptations on rare special occasions, like Christmas.  (Daisy too, of course.)  They never forget, though, now matter how long it's been since the last bag.  Accidentally shake a bag of potato chips and everybody comes running.

DH and I have had cats almost since we were first married, and there's never been an issue with rats or mice getting into the house.  However, we bought a new dishwasher and a mouse got in, probably while we were having it installed.  One night, I heard him behind the refrigerator.  I got a flashlight and shined it in the small gap between the refrigerator and the cabinet.  My cats joined me in floor to watch for it.  I am not scared of mice.  But we were all concentrating so intently that when he stuck his head out, I screamed and cats scattered!  The mouse ran behind the stove, never to be seen or heard from again.  I think he decided he didn't want to be with us anymore.  Too much drama.
Oh, that is too, too funny!  Many years ago, when I was still married to my sons' father, we lived in a small farmhouse outside of Childersburg, Alabama.  We were surrounded on two sides by horse pastures and barns, one side by soy fields, and one by woods.  As you can imagine, mice were rampant.  As were woods rats.  We acquired two darling kittens, whom I would now call Snowshoes, and hoped for the best.  Well...these were very, very arrogant kittens.  They would go into the attic at the tender age of three months, and come down dragging rats that were very nearly their own size, and on one memorable occasion, a granddaddy rat that took both of them to transport.  However, they would not touch the field mice.  Beneath them, I'm thinking.  And I couldn't have traps, not with the kittens in everything.  SO...I started setting out jar lids with water and corn meal by the stove, just at the back door.  The mice went there, and left my cabinets alone, which was the point, after all.  My ex laughed at me SO hard.  He was tickled that we had two cats, and I'd domesticated the danged mice.  One night I forgot to fill the jar lids, and the next morning when I went to start breakfast, six field mice were sitting by the lids, waiting...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Haha that's happened to me too...bag of Doritos or whatever, and Bud suddenly pops up, like "Snacks, right? You're gonna give me a snack? Come on, where is it?"