Your Experiences With Metronidazole?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can people tell me your experiences with metronidazole? I am not talking about seizures...I'm talking about common side effects.Obi is on it - for a week - and his mood is altered; he is less inclined to eat; he is thirsty and very subdued in the AM, is not terribly interested in his breakfast. He does have pancreatitis and this is why a short course was prescribed, but I am worried that it may be causing these symptoms, or that his is just getting worse.

irot

Abby & Asher
Kitten
Purraise
My Asher got to day 6 (yesterday) and today the vet stopped it. We were supposed to be on a 10 day plan. Yesterday, a few hours after each of his doses (x2 a day) he vomited a pretty big amount of semi green biley vomit -- and he is usually not one to vomit. We have been battling diarrhea since we got him in September and he is only 5 months old. The first couple of days he had shown no side effects at all -- the first sign of a side effect was the drooling maybe by day 3 or 4 and as of yesterday and maybe a bit of the day before that he lost interest in food. It was definitely a doozy -- I am glad we are off of it because I was kicking and screaming about trying it in the first place. Hope your kitty feels better soon! :)

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Giz was on it back when he was 4 or 5 months old as he had recurring diarrhea that we were trying to get to the bottom of. After a few days, he suddenly was unable to keep any food down, not even treats or the emergency baby food. I had to quickly get him to the vet the next day (on one of the iciest days of the year!) and after an anti nausea pill his stomach seemed to settle. No idea if it was the metro or something else that caused it but I chose not to continue it after that episode.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why was the Metronidazole prescribed? Does Obi have diarrhea or colitis? This drug is commonly prescribed where there is diarrhea involved.

As you may know Metro, (aka Flagyl) is an antibiotic used to fight bacterial infections or parasitic invasions and can cross the blood/brain barrier.

I had a cat who, when initially diagnosed with IBD, was prescribed Metro. At the time, he had bloody mucoid diarrhea and also had pancreatitis.

I did notice, after a time, a decrease in appetite, increase in nausea, more lethargy--and this was despite being on a high Pred dose, appetite stimulant and anti-nausea pills. Something wasn't making sense. I questioned if it could be side effects from Metro.

After a couple of weeks, and after I got the diarrhea under control, I discussed what I was observing and we stopped the Metro and things improved.

You might want to discuss side effects you are observing with your Vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Obi has chronic pancreatitis - his FPLI was really HIGH - and I think she was concerned that an inflamed pancreas would impact the liver, because of the cat's unique anatomy. In any case he is off that now. I see that his appetite is better now.

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've not had success with it on the few times it was prescribed to my cats. Unfortunately, they experienced too many of the side effects. I felt so bad as they hate getting medicated and it was always a struggle - join the club, right? I don't blame them, though. Sigh...

meshello

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Asher got to day 6 (yesterday) and today the vet stopped it. We were supposed to be on a 10 day plan. Yesterday, a few hours after each of his doses (x2 a day) he vomited a pretty big amount of semi green biley vomit -- and he is usually not one to vomit. We have been battling diarrhea since we got him in September and he is only 5 months old. The first couple of days he had shown no side effects at all -- the first sign of a side effect was the drooling maybe by day 3 or 4 and as of yesterday and maybe a bit of the day before that he lost interest in food. It was definitely a doozy -- I am glad we are off of it because I was kicking and screaming about trying it in the first place. Hope your kitty feels better soon! :)
Irot, I am very interested in progress to date because sounds like your Asher has same issues as my Deuces. Deuces has been on metronidazole for 4 days now and she started vomiting yesterday. Also, she has really lost her appetite and rarely drinks. I try changing the food, tuna, milk, goats milk, kibble, etc.. but she isn't interested in eating. Luckily, the last dose of metronidazole was last night and I am hoping her appetite comes back. Wondering if your cat got back to normal eating habits after stopping the metronidazole? Deuces was on .6mg 2x daily.

irot

Abby & Asher
Kitten
Purraise
Irot, I am very interested in progress to date because sounds like your Asher has same issues as my Deuces. Deuces has been on metronidazole for 4 days now and she started vomiting yesterday. Also, she has really lost her appetite and rarely drinks. I try changing the food, tuna, milk, goats milk, kibble, etc.. but she isn't interested in eating. Luckily, the last dose of metronidazole was last night and I am hoping her appetite comes back. Wondering if your cat got back to normal eating habits after stopping the metronidazole? Deuces was on .6mg 2x daily.
Immediately after stopping the Metro, he stopped the huge green bile vomiting. However, he continued to barely drink and eat so I had him stay at the vet for three days to watch him (he was very weak and thin) and they gave him fluids and it was like a snap of a figure that the moment the fluids starting re-hydrating him that he started eating again.

Ultimately, I ended up just giving him therapeutic doses of a probiotic by Dr Mercola and an herbal supplement from Honest and NO medication at all and he is now pretty much back to normal. I dropped 2K to get no where with the vet. He is doing great now, a little more chunky than normal, and his stool are pretty much back to normal too. I feel like it just takes time for the body to adjust. Plus, he's only 8 months old so still growing. It's such a hard thing to deal with when they can't tell you their feelings :(

Best of luck!! :)

meshello

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's good to hear that Asher is doing better.
Deuces has been off of Metro for 5 days now. Her appetite is the same; no interest in food, but she nibbles sometimes. 50% of the sometime nibbles end up in vomiting, so now I have backed her off of "food" and give her chicken broth and stella and chewys dehydrated food. I just think it is so strange that a cat that is about 12 lbs that has had about 1 total "small" can of canned cat food and no much water is still a very active and playful cat. She does not look or acts like a lethargic dehydrated cat. I have started also to syringe her water mixed with goat's milk. She grooms herself too. The only time she is crying and in pain is after having a small meal; about 10mins later throws it up.
I know i have to take her to a vet, but I am reluctant because they never seem to really help. And to be honest I don't want to drop a ton of cash only to find out that she is on her way out and needs to be put down.
I don't know if the Metro was the cause of this or just a coincidence. I wish I would have never gave her the Metro so that I would know if this issue was going to happen anyway. The vet will probably recommend more Metro and/or other meds that will make her worse.
Anyway, thanks for your input and allowing me to vent.

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Years ago flagyl was used to treat inflammatory bowel disease. My cat was on it for a year and started having liver failure. My internal medicine vet did a liver biopsy and couldn't find anything. My cat was only one and a half or so years old. Taking the cat off that and switching to a standard antibiotic snapped her out of liver

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Years ago flagyl was used to treat inflammatory bowel disease. My cat was on it for a year and started having liver failure. My internal medicine vet did a liver biopsy and couldn't find anything. My cat was only one and a half or so years old. Taking the cat off that and switching to a standard antibiotic snapped her out of liver problems. It is a sting anti parasitic used for Giarda and I think wring for long term use otherwise.