Your cats names..who and why?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flash got her name because of the Flash of ginger across her face, and now its even more apt becasue she is like flash of lightening going through a room when she is playing chase with Sooty

Sooty was originally going to be called Jet as in Jet black but it just didnt work and my dad came up with Sooty and it just works

Im not sure how Smooch got his name but he loves to kiss my mam and dad and my two bro's so hes forever smooching them

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aya is named for 2 of my favorite anime characters. Aya in Arashi no Ceres and Fujimiya Aya of Weiss Kreuz.

Most Japanese people name their pets things like 'apple' or 'chibi' so they are amused that I give my pets human names, and Japanese ones at that.

I also named my familiy's cat who now lives in VT with my parents. She has enormous green eyes so we call her Midori or 'green' in Japanese which is also a common girls' name. I was just starting my study of the language at that time.

For many years Midori squeaked rather than meowed, so often she is referred to by her nickname "Squeaky" or "Squeaky Kitty". Only in her old age has she learned how to speak in proper cat meows. I think my father's deafness may ahvesomething to do with it. she's learned she has to speak up to be heard.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larry - because my mom's cat is named Curly and my brother's cat is named Mo.
This was my mom's idea, actually. She said, "How about Larry? We have a Curly and Mo, so we need a Larry in the family."

It made me laugh, so I kept it.
And he's quite the clown.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties got names from characters in my favorite books (that I was reading at the time).

Rosalie is named after one of the characters in Twilight. When they sent me a pic of her I thought she looked just like a princess, so refined yet with a possibility to be very snooty, and that's exactly her, LOL!

Zoey is named after the main character in the House of Night series. When I picked her up that day she was so small, so scared, yet she felt so special and like she had so much potential to be a wonderful kitty, again, I was dead on

whiskers151

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Greta - The name the shelter had given her. I tried to think of any others that fit but could not think of any so she remained Greta.

Misty - Amazingly enough her name at the shelter was Gretal which was way too close to Greta so I had to come up with a new one and decided on Misty.

Nia - The shelter had named her Sqeakie which I could not live with although I realized after she settled in why they had named her Squeakie. She is the most talkative cat I have ever heard. She will keep going on and on if you respond back to her. I decided on Nia after looking for something a little different.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nia looks just like Sneaky Pie!
My Sneaky Pie that is!

Cheryl

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh excellent thread idea!!
Naming a pet is half the fun! I *love* the "computer cats" - Cable, Pixel and crew, that is brilliant! And I always wondered about Holland's name...it's so unique and fun, I would've kept it too!

Here's my two, both based on characters from novels, and I'll most likely end up WRITING novels trying to explain.

Sophie-Ann... From day one, she was such a fun combination of sweetness and sass. I don't usually go for really "girly" names for any of my pets, so I was considered naming her Scout after the little tomboy in "To Kill a Mockingbird." But I was re-reading Charlaine Harris's "Southern Vampire" series of books, and inspiration struck. Sophie-Anne in the books is over 1000 years old but looks like a young teenager, and the name itself is very sweet and childlike to me - in reality, Sophie-Anne is a very powerful being who in modern times is a queen. My first thought was "deceptively sweet", and it fit perfectly. Obviously, Soph's no vampire (well, any mouse that meets her might feel differently, lol)! But my ethereal black beauty with the unearthly eyes reeled us in with tiny, helpless meows, and then proceeded to take over the house like the queen she is! She has a million gibberish nicknames, but the most common are "Bunny-cat" (because when she's sitting with her legs all tucked in, she reminds me a lot of a dwarf rabbit I had as a teenager, and she's got bunny-soft fur - I've never met a short-haired cat with such a soft, luxurious coat) and weirdly, Bubble (after I walked in and attempted to greet her with "Hi, my baby!" and mangled 'baby' into 'bubble' - oops!).

Jack... While Soph's name was inspired by a different book, there was another "literary" Sophie that I loved - another queen, this one from a Stephen King novel (Black House). Anytime I thought of a male companion for Sophie, what immediately came to mind was the heroic Jack Sawyer, teleporting to an alternate universe and coming face to face with a lovely queen, so totally smitten that all he could do was repeat "Sophie, Sophie, Sophie" over and over.
My boy was named Simon at the shelter, but I was already calling him Jack before I even got him out of the cage (confused the heck out of the lady trying to fill out the adoption papers!). Jack and Sophie haven't had their face-to-face meeting yet, and while I expect more hissing than googly-eyes when they see one another for the first time, I'm hoping the name choice might add some good luck to the introductions.
Anyway, Jack's a really new addition to the house, but he's already earned the nickname "Peepers" or "Peeps," for the sweet little meows he "talks" to you with.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Luke- From one of Josh's favorite movies, Cool Hand Luke.

Harvey- Also another of Josh's favorite movies- Harvey!

Danny- Before I was working at the clinic I am now, two feral kittens came in. One was a female tawny colored, and the other a male brown/dark brown marble tabby. Well, the tawny female was named Sandy and Danny just went with her name (Grease!). It suited him so well, I kept it.

So, all of our cats are named after movies! And they all fit them so very well.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Halsey (after Admiral Halsey) is six years old. He and his sister Molly (Pitcher) were rescued at three weeks. They are both black.

Also black is Chester (after Admiral Nimitz - anyone seeing a pattern here yet
? He and his sister Teresa, a tortoisehell were six month old ferals my husband couldn't stand leaving outside.

Grace is all grey (part Korat so she doesn't shed). She was about five weeks when we rescued her from the neighbors.

Josephine was also rescued when the same neighbors moved and left her. She's gray and white and sheds more than the other five put together. She's also my only lap kitty.

My husband retired from the Navy and is a history buff. All of our foster cats have been named for Presidents or their family members. We started with George and Martha and are currently up to James (Monroe) and Eliza.

adriana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blossom came with the name Asia. I liked Asia, but it just didn't suit her in any way. I mentioned the name Blossom, BF liked it too and so it stuck.

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sho is my first cat and is named after a character in Skip Beat! the anime and manga series. We named our cat as such because like Sho the character, Sho the cat looks cute and innocent, but can be quite a meanie. He'll rub up against you when he wants something and then throws you away like a used tissue when he's done with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, everyone's cats have fab names and it is great to find out the reasoning behind the naming, in fact I think it was more complex for me to name my kitties than my kids
x

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Madison Taco Pantalonez (yes, his full name)- Everything about him seems regal, important, business like, It just stuck. All that came to mind was like, Madison square garden, Madison Ave. something NYC like and Madison it was. Taco, because when I asked my husband what he thought he said he wanted to name "his" (then, he's mine now
) cat Taco.

Pantalonez is the pet famlies last name

I know she's not a cat, but my dogs name is kind of funny.

Sassy Bill Pantalonez- when we first got her, I'd call her Sassy Pants, so we decided on Pantalonez after a cartoon character in Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, named Dancie Pantalonez. A few years ago, I started playing Final Fantasy 7, I re-named Barret (the guy with the gun for an arm) Sassy Bill, because I thought he was a very sassy man, a week into owning our dog, my husband started calling her Bill, because he couldn't walk around as a huge man (6'4" 260lbs) with a miniature dog named sassy, So he decided to call he Sassy Bill. (Now its Bill, Sassy, Sassy Bill, Bill dog etc)

Maybelles name came from her previous owner. Maybelle was a very distant weird kitty, didn't like to be picked up, weird about being pet, and has this crazy old lady sounding meow, they weren't sure what to do with her, and it became Maybe they'd keep her, Maybe they wouldn't, so she named her Maybelle. (the obviously did keep her, I didn't acquire the cat until this year at the age of 9) She's now a giant love bug, always purring for attention, and will even tolerate being picked up, I guess she was just meant to wait 9 years to find me.

Diddy- kitten dropped off at my moms house at about 6 weeks old.(behind the barn that was unused and falling down, go figure) When we got him, he was just this little black puff and since puff daddy didn't exist any more, and he'd just removed the P. from his name, Diddy it was.Now he's a big old black puff too.

Fat Kitty- A kitten born thanks to a crazy cat neighbor at my friends house (not crazy in a good way either) We took in his mom, she birthed the kittens, and he would seriously be dragging around off of her still feeding while she did everything except maybe poop. you'd see her walk through the house with this kitten dragging underneath her just as happy as can be, and quite the chunker too. He eventually grew up and slimmed up.

Llyod- My beloved little llyod. He was my first real kitty that I unfortunately could not take with me.(small homeless period of my life long story) I was there from day one when he was born thanks to the same neighbor, and he got his name from his markings, he looked like he was wearing and orange tuxedo, and so after the guy in dumb and dumber, he was llyod. (it turned out to suit him perfectly) He was a mammas boy to, and it broke my heart to rehome him.

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Snowball - I was 8. She was a white, fluffy kitten... Need I say more?! She was very nearly Snow White or Bella though, one of my most vivid memories of being younger is sitting in the car having just picked them up going through 'white' themed names!

Poppet - My sister thought she looked like a sweetheart, really sensible. My mum suggested Poppet... The ulterior motive here though is that my mum loves the name Poppy (which yes, she gets called) as a girls name, but couldn't name either of us it because our surname begins with a harsh P sound.

salsero71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great idea for a thread...it's always interesting to know where the names come from.

Spike (RIP) - many yrs ago, we rescued a stray kitten and as I joke we decided calling "Spike! Spike!" might fool any potential burglars into thinking we had some vicious dog in the house rather than a cute kittie. Sadly she was riddled with ringworm & other ailments & vet suggested putting her down.

Salem - initially I was gonna call him Mungojerrie and call his sister Rumpelteazer - after the duo in Cats but the names were pretty long & it was hard to find a short version. So I named him after the cat in Sabrina The Teenage Witch.

Shadow - 3 reasons for her name: 1) she spent most of her first year hiding in the shadows, from me, my dad and any visitors who came into the house, 2) she's afraid of her own shadow - jumps at the slightest thing, and 3) she lives in the shadow of her big brother - letting him take the plunge first, when it comes to exploring anything new.

pgrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little Bits was a present to me from a friend who named or "O'Reilly" originally, after the shop she worked at, which is where the kitten was found.

I then played around with "Dread Pirate Blackwhisker" because it's funny. Even the cat looked at me like "WTH? Don't you like me?"

So after a few days of playing around with what to call this little black furball of doom, I was sleeping in one morning and she had curled up on the pillow next to me and must've gotten spooked, because I got a face full of claws as she tore out of there. It's possible I snored or sneezed, I'm unsure, but my first words were "OW! You Little B$#@&!"

Well of course, "Little Bits" was born from that. I still get the face full of claws every now and again.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simon
- that was his name when I adopted him from the shelter. He was 2 1/2 years old, so I didn't change it.

Harrison
- I named him after one of my favorite actors.

Rocky - Rocket J. Squirrel, after one of my favorite cartoons
Moose - Bullwinkle J. Moose, same as above
Lucy - was going to continue the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme and name her Natasha, but went instead with Lucy, after "I Love Lucy".

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dave was named after my 2 favorite men in entertainment - Dave Matthews and David Letterman

Lilly was named after a friend's cat - I just thought that was the most lovely name for a female kitty

and Jake was named after my 10 yr.old nephew's stuffed rabbit - a very cool stuffed rabbit wearing a navy "hoodie" with a soccer ball on it, that my nephew had named 'Jake' years ago