Younger v. same age v. older for a new cat

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!  Well we've had our  Kit for coming up on 5 mos now and it was always our intention to find her a playmate.  We just have not got around to scouring the shelters in our area PLUS, Kit is not fixed yet (she will be on Nov 1).  Meanwhile, the lady that rescued Kit (but could't keep due to allergies) called me last night saying her friend has some kittens from a stray that she took in and took care of whilst pregnant....friend is ready to let the kittens go!

So she called me to ask if we'd be interested.  Kittens are probably about 5 weeks old, which I think is too young to be given away, but my friend says the woman is having a harder and harder time keeping Mom tied to her babies -- she wants back outside!!  

Now it got me to thinking: I wonder if getting a much younger v. same age or older kitten might make introductions go easier.  I know all cats and all situations are different, but what thinks the collective "you" here on the board?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts; yes, I know the proper ways for introduction should be slow and incremental.  I was just wondering what odds might be that Kit would take quicker to a "baby" as opposed to a "sibling".

theresa

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is Kit?  5 weeks is too young.  They need to learn socialization skills from their mother and siblings for at least another 5 weeks.  The mama cat is probably going back into heat and that is why she wants out so bad.  (But you didn't ask that. 
)  

A younger kitten is probably fine if Kit is still a kitten herself; but such a young kitten will be more work.  Partly just because its really too young to be away from its siblings.  It's still a baby.  I think either the same age or slightly younger is ideal.  I would be more concerned about ages if you were asking about bringing a kitten into a home with a senior/elderly cat.  2 younger cats are more likely to be a match energy and behavior wise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

How old is Kit?  5 weeks is too young.  They need to learn socialization skills from their mother and siblings for at least another 5 weeks.  The mama cat is probably going back into heat and that is why she wants out so bad.  (But you didn't ask that. 
)  

A younger kitten is probably fine if Kit is still a kitten herself; but such a young kitten will be more work.  Partly just because its really too young to be away from its siblings.  It's still a baby.  I think either the same age or slightly younger is ideal.  I would be more concerned about ages if you were asking about bringing a kitten into a home with a senior/elderly cat.  2 younger cats are more likely to be a match energy and behavior wise.
Thank you for your thoughts.  Kit is about 5 months old; she was found with some siblings along the side of a road near a local winery.  I got her at the end of May, and her estimated age I was told was about 4-5 weeks.  But she was using the litterbox, and was ready to move on to "mush" for food.  In retrospect, I probably should have continue to feed her the KMR + the wet, but it is what it is.

These new kittens, they were born on 9/11 I found out.  Yes, I  do agree that is too young to be away from Momma cat.  I am not sure what the woman's story is, just that she is looking to get homes for them.  I am told they are litterboxing and eating on their own...so, really they are about the same age as Kit was when we took her in.  Like I said, it's been our intention all along to get Kit a playmate, and now this opportunity is coming along.  We're not sure at this point what we are going to do, because we did just find out that our County Shelter is running a free feline adoption event start Oct 27 and we may just go there to see what they have; that way, kitty will be vaxxed and neutered already and we won't have that expense.

theresa

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I read that as you've had her for 5 months. 
  I guess my biggest concerns would be their size difference and a potential lack of kitty manners from either one of them.  Both of those things are manageable.  They just may take a bit more work and supervision on your part.

I hope you find the right kitten for Kit and your family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry I read that as you've had her for 5 months. 
  I guess my biggest concerns would be their size difference and a potential lack of kitty manners from either one of them.  Both of those things are manageable.  They just may take a bit more work and supervision on your part.

I hope you find the right kitten for Kit and your family!
No, you were right: we've had her for about 5 mos.  We got her at the end of May, and at that time she was estimated to be 4 weeks old (yes, too young to be away from Mom and siblings, but she was found on the roadside with 3 siblings).  

So now, approaching the end of October, I suppose she's about 6 mos old and we've had her for almost 5 of those months.

We've decided as family that we are going to pass on these kittens (silent protest that they're too young to be given away) and take a look at kittens closer to Kit's age at the shelter event.

~theresa~