Young pregnant cat has pronounced lump on belly

Greta_A

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering a pregnant cat for a rescue and just got her yesterday and all her vet paperwork was great. She's only about a year old and a little thin. However today I noticed a lump right between two nipples on her belly. It's about the size of a fingertip. It doesn't bother her when I touch it, but the lump itself is pretty firm. I'm going to try to get a vet appointment either today or tomorrow (they're all booked, so it's like a walk-in) but I feel like the only two options I've seen online are malignant mammary tumors or a mammary hyperplasia, which isn't as terrible. She's still very young. I've attached pictures, but it's hard to see because of her fur. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a pregnant cat for a rescue and just got her yesterday and all her vet paperwork was great. She's only about a year old and a little thin. However today I noticed a lump right between two nipples on her belly. It's about the size of a fingertip. It doesn't bother her when I touch it, but the lump itself is pretty firm. I'm going to try to get a vet appointment either today or tomorrow (they're all booked, so it's like a walk-in) but I feel like the only two options I've seen online are malignant mammary tumors or a mammary hyperplasia, which isn't as terrible. She's still very young. I've attached pictures, but it's hard to see because of her fur. Does anyone have any advice?
It could be mastitis

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a Hernia.
Mastitis and mammary hyperplasia tend to present around the nipples not the midline area.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You definitely need a professional opinion on this. Not all lumps are malignant, but most need to be removed regardless. Let us know what the vet says!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The positioning on that looks like it could be umbilical related. I have no idea what kind of risks an umbilical hernia presents during pregnancy, but it's likely better than a tumor at least. Let us know what the vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greta_A

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, not sure why I didn't get notifications of people replying, but we just took her to the vet, and the doctor believes it's just a hernia! He says it shouldn't affect her activities, and there's a chance the labor might make it worse, but it's a small possibility. Thank you everyone!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she too far along to be spayed now?

pregnancy will put weight on the hernia, often causing them to be pushed further out sometimes with dire consequences.
Midline defects are also often hereditary so kittens will need to be checked, some may have intestines out at birth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Greta_A

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she too far along to be spayed now?

pregnancy will put weight on the hernia, often causing them to be pushed further out sometimes with dire consequences.
Midline defects are also often hereditary so kittens will need to be checked, some may have intestines out at birth.
Yes, she's due in a week or so. We will thoroughly check all the kittens and keep our eyes on them! I hope it's not going to be passed on.