Young Ocicats becoming foodaholics

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our two three year-old Ocicats each get half a 5.5oz can of Science Diet wet food twice daily; in other words, between the two of them, they go through 2 cans per day. We used to supplement with Science Diet dry food but one of the kitties got very overweight from it and developed other health issues that were cleared up when we withdrew the dry food, which really didn't seem to be doing them any good at all.

Since we put the cats on the wet food-only diet, they have become quite manic scroungers, rooting around in the waste disposal and the trash for food, it's almost an obsession. Obviously I would hate to think that we might be underfeeding our cats, but they seem healthier on the current diet and are far from underweight at about 8lb each. They are not big cats but they are muscular and healthy at this weight.

This appears to be both a behavioral and a diet issue. It seems a shame that they are both so food-obsessed. I'm wondering if there is any product with which I can supplement their diet that is nutricious and might take the edge of their appetite? In every other respect they are healthy, active, sociable and fun-loving felines. Suggestions, anyone?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Science Diet is not a very good food. It has lots of filler ingredients that only make a cat feel full, but leave their bodies craving something more. I would suggest that, that is the reason they are scrounging so much.
Do some research into ingredients in other premium brands of cat foods and compare them to science diet and draw your own conclusions. Keep in mind that cats are obligate carnivores and meat proteins should be the highest percentage of their daily intake.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mature Ocicats should weigh about 10-12 lbs for males; females 8-10.

Ocicats ARE foodaholics but yours really needs more food. And SD is NOT quality food. I suggest you get them on Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Max Cat for better food in the canned.

Also may want to look into adding some raw beef 2-3 times a week. This is what our cats get and our Oci is about 1 1/2 yrs old now - he's a solid and muscular 11 lb cat!

We feed 1/4 cup of dry in the morning and the 2 cats have about 1/3 of a can (6 oz) at night - plus the raw beef 2-3 times a week.

toptalent

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agreed. Do a research on how to read cat food labels and you'll be surprised on what you have missed out. The top ingredients in a good cat food should be meat and MEAT, and the first ingredient must be the *good meat", for example, chicken, NOT chicken-by-product or chicken liver etc.

The reason mega companies like science diet got their "premium" image to the general public is obviously their huge marketing budget, and they have partnerships/sponsorships etc with many vets. Do not believe when a vet tells you science diet is the best. Vets are not nutritionists.

Many higher quality food can be purchased for around the same price (or even cheaper) as SD. Some are mostly sold online, but many are available in local stores too. Just to give you my example, I feed my cats Wellness and Natural Balance canned foods availble from Petco. I choose about 4 different varieties (mostly chicken based, because they are the best overall for cats. Wellness chicken and Natural Balance Ultra famula to be exact) and my cats absolutely thrive on them. I feed the same amount you do.

Do some researches and make sure you read the ingredient labels next time you shop for your cat food. They WILL make a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is tremendously helpful, thank you all so much.

We will switch their canned diet source and supplement with raw beef. What type of raw beef do you buy? Do you buy a steak and grind it or do you buy hanburger and what is the fat content? What quantity by weight do you feed and how often?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the stew beef because its smaller pieces. Some get cut in half just because I make them more "cat size bites". I've never really measured how much because I usually add a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the canned cat food (with all the vitamins, etc) and then maybe 6-8 pieces of stew meat as the serving.

I've also divided a patty size of hamburger (raw) between the two cats and the dog - maybe they would get about 1/3 of a normal hamburger you would have on the grill. I always give some canned food and not just straight raw.

We used to feed raw chicken wings, but we think that may have been part of the problem with Charlie getting a UTI and then dying because of the extra calcium in the bones. So any chicken they get is cooked and given to them (boneless chicken breast) more as a nice treat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't comment too much on weight since Oci's are bigger over here, but 8lbs does sound too light. They are obviously hungry, along with changing the food you may want to add another meal.

My adults get fed 3 meals a day (I only feed raw) of around 80g per feeding around - 3oz I think it works out to. If they will eat chunks/strips of meat that is far better for teeth than ground meat. Mine also get chicken necks and other bones.

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, thanks again everybody.

We have started by buying stew beef, grinding it up very coarsely so that it can be frozen in portion sizes in an ice-tray and giving it to the cats 2 -3 times a week with their wet food. Next, we'll change out the wet food for one of the brands suggested above, gradually, of course. I'm wondering if I should add a third meal or if two feedings per day of the wet food, supplemented 2 - 3 times a week with the raw beef, will work. They already seem less antsy. I hate to think that we've been underfeeding them; I don't think we have, really but our mistake was not to recognise how much they need meat, uncut with filler.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two meals should be enough. Kittens up to 5 months old can have 3 meals, but I never feed more then 2 meals after that time.

Can you post some pictures (body shots side and top would be helpful) to see how they look. I forgot, are they males or male/female?

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Goldenkitty45, you've always been so helpful.

One male, one female, the male is a little lighter, muscular, lithe, the female is heavier, more prone to putting on weight. Only when we withdrew the dry food did our female cat's waist re-emerge! They are very active, very physical and healthy, although it will be interesting to see how fully-grown cats (they just turned three) will develop as a result of a diet enhancement as significant as this.

I know you want full-body shots. Bear with me for a day or two while I take a couple of those, meanwhile here is the best (and most recent) pic I can supply right now. Pherber (female) is on the left, Chas (male) is perched upright on the right. (Please ignore the guk in Pherber's eye, I should have wiped it away before, not after, taking this rather formal cat-portrait):

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok the female is at her right weight (she could get away with 9 lbs, but try to keep her about 8 or 8 1/2 lbs). The male does need to pick up about 2 lbs - he should be a good 10 lbs.

And watch when they eat - she might be stealing his food !

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody, I just wanted to report that, thanks to advice I have received here, our Ocis are thriving on their amended diet. We switched them to the superior brand of cat food recommended above -- luckily there is a great pet food supply store in the neighborhood that carries all brands -- and incorporated portions of raw, coarsely-ground stewing steak in their meals, three times a week. Interestingly, whereas they have both put on weight, especially Chas, the boy, who most obviously needed to, neither cat has become visibly overweight. The have "beefed up" but their body shapes have remained essentially the same, which just goes to show that they needed the enhanced diet and have processed it very well.

As always, thank you!