Young Male Urinating Outside of Litter Box

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a male cat who will be one year old next week. He was exported to Canada from Cuba. At the time nobody could tell me if he had been neutered or not. Some say no because his testicles could not be found. A vet here said she could not find them either.

I have had him for almost 4 months and he has never urinated anywhere but his litter box. Last week I found a puddle on the wood floor in one room and thought it might be my other 13 year old cat. Last night I found a wet spot in the middle of my bed and he was the only cat in the room.

I know that male cats can spray if they are not neutered but this was not a spray pattern as it was in the middle of the bed, It seems like something is happening to his system. I know he is not bothered by the older cat so it can't be a territory or nerve action.. He has used his litter box since. Incidentally he is a blind cat but that has never been a problem. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing the right thing by taking him to the vet.
 Sounds like the poor guy's been through a lot. I can't even go on a 10 minute car ride with my cat without having her freak out and scream and cry as if we're torturing her. But your little guy made it all the way from Cuba to Canada?! Wow!

Let's see what the vet says, but the best litter box tips I got was from Jackson Galaxy: http://jacksongalaxy.com/2014/09/27/10-litter-box-tips-part-1/

You didn't mention how many litter boxes you had, but the general rule is minimum 1 box per cat + 1. So if you have two cats, you should have at least 3. But the poor guys been through a lot, and he's blind, so if I were you, I'd try to place a few more all around the house to help him out. I've been through litter box issues with our cat, so I can relate to some frustration. Please don't get angry or annoyed at them. Cats really prefer to eliminate in a proper litter box and cover up their smell so as to not leave a trace of their scent everywhere. It's a way of protecting themselves against predators who follow the scent of their preys.

We have TWO boxes for one cat spread apart on opposite ends of the house, and she seems much happier and hopefully accidents will be a thing of the past. We initially started her out on one Breeze litter system, but she wasn't loving it. I can get into the details about how we discovered this if you're interested, but I'll save the lengthy details in this reply. We then let her test out Feline Pine. She wouldn't go near it. It smells strongly of pine to us humans so imagine what she was smelling. Cats have 1,000% stronger sense of smell than humans.

We really wanted to stay away from clumping clay litter, but I realized that's what she'd become familiar with from her time at the shelter, so I broke down and bought her Cat Attract, and lo and behold, she ran right to it. There's some kind of a pheromone blend in Cat Attract that really seems to attract our cat. She's constantly going in there, and we no longer have to encourage her toward the litter box. I almost feel like she's going there too often, even when she doesn't have to eliminate. She has also become so much calmer and less needy since we finally found a litter box that she's happy with.

Also, we were very reluctant to add a box in our living room (stupid human vanity), but it was where we all socialized, and it was a socially important place for our cat because she plays there and hangs out with us there. She now mostly uses that box and much less of the original box in her bathroom. We'll probably add a third one upstairs near where she sleeps when she gets older.

Goos luck to you and your brave little boy! Keep us posted on his and your progress! 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First stop is the vet for sure. This could be medical, like a uti or crystals in his urine. Let us know what the vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its not like he is ignoring the litter box. He does use it. We have 3 boxes and if I do move them around he finds them easily. I notice that he does not drink much and 90% of his diet is moist with a treat of dry kibble.

I am not concerned about his mental health as he is a very happy cat and loves to spend all his time with one of us. He was a feral kitten in Cuba and because of his handicap taken to a sanctuary at about 3 months. He was well loved and they called him King because he was treated that way. I understand that when he left many tears were shed. There is an excellent facility in Cuba considering the lack of  supplies. Many come from Canadian tourists. Because of the large number of feral dogs and cats in Cuba this sanctuary does a lot of TNR.