Young Kitty Leaves Little Poop Outside

liukimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mimi is 5 years old. Just had her annual exam last week and everything is fine. However, it’s been seen twice that Mimi, maybe intentionally, leave exactly one piece of poop somewhere in the room, outside the litter box. I checked her litter box and the rest of the poop was there and look very normal. She started doing this like last week before the vet check and the poop looks healthy. I have seen this twice already. Do you know what is causing this? Thank you.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did your vet have to say about it? Did he check her for constipation and such? I would not think she is doing it intentionally, there will be a physical reason for it.

Constipation would be my first guess, is she eating wet food, dry food, or a mix? First thing i would try is feed more wet, unless this is what she already eats, then maybe add a few spoons of water to her food? if this does not solve the problem, i would have a vet check for this specific problem.

Or if she has long hair maybe it is tangled up? Poo will occasionally get stuck in long hair.

Do keep us updated with her, if it continues, or what you figure out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liukimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What did your vet have to say about it? Did he check her for constipation and such? I would not think she is doing it intentionally, there will be a physical reason for it.

Constipation would be my first guess, is she eating wet food, dry food, or a mix? First thing i would try is feed more wet, unless this is what she already eats, then maybe add a few spoons of water to her food? if this does not solve the problem, i would have a vet check for this specific problem.

Or if she has long hair maybe it is tangled up? Poo will occasionally get stuck in long hair.

Do keep us updated with her, if it continues, or what you figure out.
Thank you for the reply. She a domestic short hair kitty. It doesn’t look like she has constipation because her poop is pretty moist, not diarrhea. And she doesn’t seem like having trouble to poop (straining etc...). She just leaves one piece of stool somewhere in the room. She eats dry food for lunch and wet food for dinner. I did add water to both dry and wet food, but not too much. She pees couple times a day so I guess she has enough water intake? I dropped her off the vet for annual exam and when I picked her up the vet just told me she’s totally ok. So I don’t know...

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time mine have started in the box, and finished elsewhere is the rare case where they got scared or startled while going, and ran. Could something like that be going on? Another pet or something that startles her?

Adding water to wet is good, if she will still eat it, mine will not. Adding water to dry can cause a bacterial explosion if you leave it out long, i think its recommended to toss dry food that you have added water to in 30 min or so. Maybe even try wet for both meals for a bit, no dry, just feed her wet and see if it helps? I feed both to my guys too, but if she may be slightly constipated this might help.

Many have good results with feeding a spoon full or two of canned pumpkin, plain pumpkin, not pie filling, once or twice a day. they do make some just for cats you can buy, if you prefer. Or mix a teaspoon in with her food, if she will eat it?

I would i think call my vet Monday and ask, let them know its going on and see what they say, since they just saw her they may have advice?

liukimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only time mine have started in the box, and finished elsewhere is the rare case where they got scared or startled while going, and ran. Could something like that be going on? Another pet or something that startles her?

Adding water to wet is good, if she will still eat it, mine will not. Adding water to dry can cause a bacterial explosion if you leave it out long, i think its recommended to toss dry food that you have added water to in 30 min or so. Maybe even try wet for both meals for a bit, no dry, just feed her wet and see if it helps? I feed both to my guys too, but if she may be slightly constipated this might help.

Many have good results with feeding a spoon full or two of canned pumpkin, plain pumpkin, not pie filling, once or twice a day. they do make some just for cats you can buy, if you prefer. Or mix a teaspoon in with her food, if she will eat it?

I would i think call my vet Monday and ask, let them know its going on and see what they say, since they just saw her they may have advice?
Yeah I think you have a point! I did interrupted her pooping the first time I saw it. I didn’t know who was pooping. I just called Mimi couple times and she came out responded me. Then she left the last piece of unfinished business in front of me. The second time is this morning. I didn’t call her so I don’t know if anything else interrupted her.
But I did leave dry food with added water in it for quiet a long time. I will definitely stop doing it. You know she prefers dry food and she likes visit the food bowl couple times a day instead of finish all the food at once. So she would eat dry or wet food that’s been in the bowl for couple hours.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet you are right on the first time you called her. she came to you before she was finished.

I would feed her all the wet i could, and leave dry out as well, just dont mix anything wet with the dry you leave out. You can leave wet out for a few hours, and i leave dry out all day, then toss any left over the next day. I have a few that nibble too. Also make sure she has a big, wide bowl of fresh, clean filtered water at all times.

Just watch her close, see if you can figure out if something bothered her if it happens again. then if it continues and you cannot figure out why, then time for the vet.

liukimmy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bet you are right on the first time you called her. she came to you before she was finished.

I would feed her all the wet i could, and leave dry out as well, just dont mix anything wet with the dry you leave out. You can leave wet out for a few hours, and i leave dry out all day, then toss any left over the next day. I have a few that nibble too. Also make sure she has a big, wide bowl of fresh, clean filtered water at all times.

Just watch her close, see if you can figure out if something bothered her if it happens again. then if it continues and you cannot figure out why, then time for the vet.
Ya thank you so much for the help!