Young Kittens and the Litter Box

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those with experience raising kittens, this is my first time with anyone under 4 weeks.

My boys (still with momma) are now 3 weeks. They recently started exploring/using Momma's litter box. However, they are also still fully mastering walking and climbing. Whenever they go in the box, they tend to climb in and fall face first (I just noticed them starting to use the box yesterday, so this has not been going on long.)

When they fall, they end up with litter all over their face and start to lick it off. It is NON-clumping clay litter and I watched them yesterday and cleaned it off their face/out of their mouth the second they got any.

In the midst of finding either a teeny box for them to go next to momma's box (though they might still try for the big one) or one short enough that they can't fall, but long/wide enough for Momma to use as well.

My questions are:

What is the usual age for kittens to be using the box?

Until I can find a solution, how bad is it for them to be accidentally swallowing a little non-clumping clay litter?

Should I switch to a different litter until I can find the right box and if so, what kind?

So far I have only seen them use the box twice during the duration of a day, the rest of the time Momma takes care of them. I'm guessing they're just starting to try it out right now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its ok with this non clumping litter. It is the self point - they not seldom even try to eat it.  So if they happen to swallow a little, it doenst matter. The common baked clay isnt poisonous.

As the litter for them you can use some shallow cardboard box. Or such kitchen-utensils forms made of aluminium foil.  "once time baking forms".  Many uses such ones for the little ones. Useful also as emergency litter for adult. Say if they are in a smallish cage.

You can probably also use a common plate for them kittens.

Good luck!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kittens are starting to use the box at a fairly normal age, but they might have the odd accident for some time - they are like babies, when they realise they need to go they might need to go Right Now, not in 20 seconds when they are in the litter tray.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kittens are about the same age but have not shown any interest in using the box. I buy corn husk litter for my babies because for some reason they want to eat the litter when I first start introducing them to it and I have clumping litter for my momma. I just go to the dollar store and buy cheap plastic ware for the kittens tray, with a low side. Three weeks is young to start imo, on average I would say closer to 4 weeks they start showing interest. I also find that mom will stop cleaning them  as soon as I introduce food to them. However, each mom is different ...my current mom still does a pretty good job at cleaning up after them. I have only found two accidents. I also put any accidents in the litter so they associate that's where to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma is still keeping them clean (and they are starting to clean themselves as well.) I was a little curious if they were early- usually if I get four-five week olds, they are just starting to discover the box. But I've had no messes and the boys themselves are clean as clean can be. Other than stumbling a bit when climbing in, they have learned from watching their Momma exactly how to use it.

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help! I got them a bitty box of their own :) They seem to know which is theirs and which is Mom's.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I use for all of my rescues, adult and kittens, is pellets, like stove pellets. They are simply sawdust formed into pellets for wood burning stoves.

They are not harmful in any way, and you can pick up a 40 pound bag for 6-7 bucks. Cheap!

When pee hits them, they turn back into sawdust, damp of course, which you can easily sift out, then the poop can be scooped out as well.

Hardware stores and some grocery stores carry them.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are most welcome :). Today was the first day that I saw a bit of interest with my kittens and the litter. Stopping to smell the poo (I put in some of mama's)

My one little boy was running around crying tonight so I put him in and he went. Although, fell over while trying to perch and into his poo...

They are four weeks today! These kittens do seem a bit late in development compared to some past litters. Pic of my only boy...Diago

They are just now starting to climb (me) and run short bits. Still very uncoordinated!

I have used the wood pellets before...they are a good as well.

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine just turned 4 weeks today :) They run like crazy and now have almost mastered the litterbox- for the situation they came from, they are very smart boys! They run about like crazy- just working on socializing. Momma is very shy and while the boys have been handled by me daily since they were two weeks old, they also pay attention to what Momma cat does (she is doing much better now than when she first came :) )

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are at such a fun age aren't they? When i go and sit with them...I am their jungle gym. They balance on my foot and bite my buttons and zippers. Mine are using the litter hit and miss.

they have all seemed to master eating a bit of wet food out of a low dish. My momma is such a good mama. Last night as as all four played on me...she laid down away from us and looked eternally grateful for a break. She's been such a trusting soul considering she has been an outside only cat. I just love her.

nikkigrant99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww what a beautiful kitten. im glad to hear all your babies are getting on well. my cat has 2 weeks to go untill her kittens arrive and i was wondering should i have a seperate litter tray for the kittens? mamma uses crystals should i start to change her litter so she gets used to kitten litter for when they arrive ?

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are at such a fun age aren't they? When i go and sit with them...I am their jungle gym. They balance on my foot and bite my buttons and zippers. Mine are using the litter hit and miss.

they have all seemed to master eating a bit of wet food out of a low dish. My momma is such a good mama. Last night as as all four played on me...she laid down away from us and looked eternally grateful for a break. She's been such a trusting soul considering she has been an outside only cat. I just love her.

They are eternally fun! Napoleon is such a momma's boy- he comes whenever she calls. Nigel is more independent. He actually snuggled me all on his own for the first time yesterday! I was lying on my side watching a movie and he curled up under my chin and purred! Of course I pulled out the camera :) Napoleon was much more interested in using me and anything else he could find as a toy (between his check-ins with Momma Natalia)

awww what a beautiful kitten. im glad to hear all your babies are getting on well. my cat has 2 weeks to go untill her kittens arrive and i was wondering should i have a seperate litter tray for the kittens? mamma uses crystals should i start to change her litter so she gets used to kitten litter for when they arrive ?
If you look up in the post, I had some helpful replies to those same questions!