Young cat in my house!

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so we moved to a place that gets cold last year.. I’m not used to this weather so maybe I’m extra sensitive.. but I also don’t let my cats outside so it’s extra strange to me that people don’t let their cats inside!!!! Anyways.. so another thing,, several of my neighbors had kittens over the summer... aaaaand were not successful in rehoming them all!! So the neighborhood children usually know oh “that’s -name-s kitten” or “that one is from these people”... well there is one kitten that no one knows where it came from.. I’m certain it eats with the other kittens since they’re all outdoor kittens.. but it’s just so cold out and my 12yo came home from a walk and this unknown background kitten followed him in the house, despite his shooing...

it quickly squeezed itself inside and began purring loudly.. there is ice on the ground and strong howling winds and sporadic heavy rains and flooding!!! I couldn’t bring myself to put her back out :( she looks around 4 months to me. I set up a litter box, food and water in my sons room. I need to STOP taking on new pets!!! ASAP it’s getting bad.. and I have a bad history of doing this.. but I know it’s not getting warmer any time soon..

uhhhhg

I weighed her and treated her for fleas last night. I didn’t see any, but we’ve dealt with fleas in the past so I’m not taking any chances. I don’t know what to do guys :( is so cold and she doesn’t have a family that will claim her.All I can think to do is start the rehoming process... but I live in the middle of no where which is why my neighbors that had kittens had such bad luck.. is there nothing else to be done

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... thank you so much for letting her stay inside. She sounds like a sweetie. Is keeping her an option? If not, are there rescue groups/shelters that would let you foster her till they found her a home?

Since you clearly have other pets, I would advise not letting her have any contact with any of them until you get her to a vet for a wellness check, and shots. You can't take the risk of her making any of your resident cats sick.

And, you could post signs, or post on social media that you've found a kitten. Maybe someone owns her.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, please keep her in a room by herself until she has been cleared by a vet. Also if you think she is 4 months old, she needs to be spayed or she will be pregnant in no time.

What about all of the other kittens wandering around? They will all start to reproduce. Can you contact a rescue group for help or start doing TNR?

Your weather does sound awful and it's a very hard life for cats to live outside.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mamakitty&me.

I realize you said you "live in the middle of nowhere"......I just did a little Googling...........

Try Googling exactly this: "cat rescue in McAlester OK".

There would appear to be some rescue groups in the area, and there's also a directory of "no kill" groups in OK here: nokillnetwork.org - Oklahoma.

There's also the City Shelter City of McAlester and they're on FB as well (don't know if they're 'no-kill', though).

'Have to say, your story really touched me!