Young Again Zero Carb Dry Cat Food. Vs. Canned Food??

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome thanks! How did I not see that calculator?!!! So are they suggesting 152 calories a day for a 10-12lbs cat? Going to give this 8lbs bag a try I think and hopefully the canned food will keep them hydrated enough. I might even try mixing warm water into the kibble.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome thanks! How did I not see that calculator?!!! So are they suggesting 152 calories a day for a 10-12lbs cat? Going to give this 8lbs bag a try I think and hopefully the canned food will keep them hydrated enough. I might even try mixing warm water into the kibble.
Yeah , that is what the calculator suggests but when I was feeding it to my cats I also gave them one meal of canned food  .   So with that and the wet food that would be enough calories I would think ..  

Last edited:

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sad to have to leave the raw diet but money has become tight. I will try and ween them slowly off of it and then hopefully back on to it in the future :(.

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided last week to give this food a try, so I thought I would add my two cents to this thread, if anyone is still interested.  

I have six cats.  Three are overweight, and four have been treated for UTI issues, one of them twice.  My vet advised me to put all the cats on Science Diet c/d dry, as it is not practical for me to feed each cat separately.  I really dislike this brand, but I did as I was told.  It *did* help in dissolving the cats' crystals, but I was not happy about using it on a permanent basis, so I decided to put all the cats on a canned diet.  So far, so good.  A couple of the fat cats have even lost a bit of weight.  The problem is, feeding canned only is not sustainable for me, monetarily.  When I feed cheaper food, I end up throwing a lot away, even while the cats pester me for something else to eat.  The stuff they like costs at least $3 for a large can.  Also, sometimes I just need to be able to put food in the bowl and forget about it.  I have an older housemate, and once spent two weeks doing little other than caring for her after a hospital stay.  At times like that, convenient pet food is a blessing.

So...I started looking for a good dry food to offer, along with the cans.  

It was important to me that the food I selected be very low in carbs, as low as possible.  I've read that, along with low hydration, one of the things that causes UTI in cats is a diet too high in carbs, which make the urine more alkaline.  I narrowed my choices down to Young Again  and Wysong, and sent off for samples.  The cats liked both brands, and I think both are probably good food, although I have read some less than pleasant things about Wysong's customer service.  The thing that really won me over about Young Again was the fact that, in another thread, I discovered that the company's owner had joined this site, and was very willing to offer advice and information to anyone who asked, even if they had no intention of buying his product.  In an industry often criticized for its lack of transparency, I found this very encouraging.  

I've also gotten a water fountain for my cat who loves the kitchen faucet (she likes it very much), and will be offering CatSip and goat's milk to encourage them to drink more.

I will be watching the cats and the litter boxes closely.  If I see any signs of trouble, I will go back to canned food alone, and start adding some raw food over time to keep costs down (yes, it would, if you compare prices!)  Actually, I may start adding some raw, anyway, when it's something I want to eat, too.  (Venison.  My cats would trip me and walk over my dead body for venison.)

The food is supposed to arrive today.  I feel hopeful about it, and will keep you posted.  

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my cat this food for about a month so I'll add my experience as well.

I've been giving him the 50/22 food (I realize now that since he's an adult I should be feeding the 50/22 mature, so that'll be the next bag) and I've been highly impressed. I have one bowl of it left out all the time so he can graze throughout the day and I give him some wet food in the morning and at night. Spooky has had problems with allergies and skin itching, but since adding green lipped mussel powder to his wet food and starting him on Young Again, that has almost completely resolved. I can't be sure if it was all the powder or if Young Again helped a little since I started them at the same time, but it definitely didn't make anything worse. He had no problems switching to the dry food, no soft stool or anything like that. He definitely prefers the wet, but he'll eat the dry in little nibbles throughout the day.

I was super impressed by the ingredients of this food and since my cat is doing so well, I'm going to keep feeding it. One weird little thing, this food is very... fragrant? When I refill his bowl I can smell it in the kitchen. It's not a bad smell, but I swear it smells EXACTLY like McDonalds chicken nuggets. Not sure what that's about, haha.