You are all going to hate me.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you're going through all this right now. I hope you're able to find a solution....

Cammy's puking kind of sounds like Genever. She pukes 'for no reason', I thought it was regurgitation, but after more talking with the vet and reading and stuff, we think it's vomiting. Even though it's almost always after she eats, no matter what she ate- wet, dry, allergy food, etc. But sometimes it's hours after she last ate, but still looks like a pile/puddle of food. She keeps pooping regularly and isn't losing weight though, so some food gets through ok.. Sometimes there are definitely hairballs in the puke, so then I'll give her Laxatone for a week or so. But I did the ping pong balls in the bowl, tried very small meals, her dishes are already elevated, nothing helped. We tried a bunch of different meds, anti-nausea stuff, stuff to coat and heal any potential ulcers/sores, an x-ray, and eventually tried prednisolone as a last resort to doing an ultrasound or endoscope (per my vet's suggestions, but I'm ok with it all so far). The prednisolone has helped A LOT. She still pukes, but not nearly as often as before. She started out 5mg/day for a month, then down to 2.5mg/day. We tried to reduce it to 2.5mg every other day, but whenever I try that, it doesn't work and she pukes more again. Just last week I tried skipping a day, and she puked 4 times in about 30 hours. I was about to call the vet if it continued another day, but she stopped. And before that she didn't puke since July 19. (I keep a journal of what they eat, when they get their pills, if they puke, etc.)

So, you do what you need to do, but I just thought I'd relay my experience, in case it helps at all. Good luck!!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can attest to the wonders of prednisone/prednisolone and also that it is dirt cheap. If you can get a script from your vet and take it to a pharmacy it is even cheaper. For my own prescription, the dispensing fee is usually more than 100 pills or so.

I'm glad you are able to take her to the vet. Ask them about IBD and treating with prednisone/prednisolone (they are the same drug, just different compounds or something...I have read that prednisolone is better for cats as they metabolize it better). Belle's also doing well on her Hills i/d food...vomits much less often (usually only if she steals a sip or nibble of something not good for her tummy...like milk). I think people with IBD cats have also had some luck with probiotics, as well.

I'm a person with IBD. I'm not sure if it's the same with cats, but there is really nothing that causes my flare ups, and the only thing that gets them under control is prednisone. It's a wonder drug...except for the side effects (which aren't as bad for cats).

Is Cammy still eating/drinking well?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I'm a person with IBD. I'm not sure if it's the same with cats, but there is really nothing that causes my flare ups, and the only thing that gets them under control is prednisone. It's a wonder drug...except for the side effects (which aren't as bad for cats).

Is Cammy still eating/drinking well?
Oh man, thread hijack - sorry.... I am also a person with IBD, however there is a LOT of things that causes flares on me (it did before Align, actually, not anymore)..... Align (as in the probiotic Align) has changed my life around
I know of a lot of people who take it and it has done the same for them (I was told to take by a friend - it is NOT the same as other probiotics.... I PROMISE you
) If you haven't tried yet, do it - you might just get off pred...... You are talking to 2 pred-free here due to align: Me and Bugsy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm letting her out (after proper vaccination) because she desperately wants to go outside. She's not happy being indoor only.