Yikes... Dion jumped on the hot stove

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old abby cat loves chicken! He thought that my husband had some chicken out when he was heating up a tortilla on the stove. Dion jumped from the floor to the hot burner before we could catch him. He burned his front paw. I feel just awful.... I am going to keep an eye on his paw for the next few days to make sure he is ok. I have some cat antibiotic cream that I got from the vet awhile back.. I put that on it.. That did not go over well with Dion.... I feel so guilty...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having trouble keeping my Fluffy from jumping on my stove. Fortunately, she has not hit a hot burner, yet. I have bought large metal pot lids at yard sales, and put them over my burners after I turn them off. They still get hot, but not as hot as direct contact with a burner. I still do not know what to do about keeping her down, though. I do not usually squirt my cats, shaking the water bottle is usually enough, but I may have to resort to water therapy for this problem. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
I hope Dion's poor little paw heals quickly. Keep us posted, please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dion seems ok this morning. What a wake up call that was!! I always try to put the coffee pot on the burner that is hot. He is such a mooch that he thinks he should be in the middle of everything in the kitchen! I set him down off the counter and he jumps back up! I think the only solution for me is to get a door on the kitchen and shut it.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin's cat was severely burned by stepping onto a hot stove. I believe this is a health issue, and you need to be very firm about keeping kitty off the stove. Whether it is by hissing at him, or shaking a can of pennies...somehow you must teach him to stay off.

My kitty got into the bad habit of jumping up onto the stove after dinner, before I cleaned away the leftovers (naughty Mom!). One day, he jumped up and landed on the edge of a large metal pan. It fell to the floor, and made a huge mess. But he was unharmed, and now stays off the stove!

You need to do something similar...somehow convince kitty to stay off!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat isn't allowed on the counter tops or the table. He probably does it when we aren't home [in fact, I know he does.] but he never does it when we're home because he knows I'll squirt him with the spray bottle. It really surprises me that this is such a big issue for everyone because my cat never gets on the counter/table while we're home. I know he gets on the table while we're gone, but as far as I know he hasn't been counter surfing...

There really isn't much a spray bottle can't fix, and jumping on the stove is really a dangerous habit.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with spraying cats with water. What worked for us is shaking a can of pennies whenever they jumped up there.
I hope Dions paw is okay.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two youngest cats are always getting up on my counters and then proceed to walk onto the stove top. I have a glass top stove yikes. I shoo them off but they still jump up often. I'm very carefull when its hot and keep a pot on the burners untill they cool off. I'm so scared one of these times one of them will get burned!