yet another poopy problem

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So! Four months ago I rescued a pair of 6 week old brothers from the bathroom of the neighbourhood 711. They got their shots and their dewormer right away of course, and their ears and fur are clean (when they're not rolling around in dust anyway). They're doing well!

However one of them, Spooky, is Very high strung and that anxiety often leads to a sour tummy and then a messy bum. Now comes the problem of course.

The little hecker won't even let me near him to help him out.

He won't book it per se but he'll hide his bum and avoid me. When I do catch him to clean him with some damp toilet paper (can't afford baby wipes right now) it's an immediate struggle and I'd rather just let him go than hurt or traumatize him further.

A bath is right out of the question. 'Cat on a hot tin roof' about describes that, cept a lot grosser. And more painful for me (the first and only try actually netted me a couple of scars so I'd rather not).

So I'm trying to defuse his anxiety by petting him and playing with him and feeding him treats, and letting him hang with his bro, but he's still got a very gross bum. 

I'm at my wits end. I'm almost wondering if I'm going to have to sedate him just so I can clean him cus he just will Not let me at it. It's uncomfortable and demeaning for him and it makes me feel like a very terrible cat mom. I can't just leave him with a dirty bottom but I also can't figure out a way to get at it without freaking him out even more and risking him an injury.

This is my first time raising kitties on my own, and I'm a very broke college student at present so funds are...nonexistant. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thank you so much :c

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With a friends help, can you wrap him in a towel covering all four of his paws, keeping bum exposed and bathe just his back end under a gentle stream warm water? I understand you don't want to stress him but you could accomplish at least part of the clean up within just a couple minutes. Get as much as you can with only warm water and repeat if needed. I'd not use kitty shampoo or anything else at this point only so you don't have to worry about rinsing that out. He doesn't have a Mama whom would help to wash him at this point in his life and not really big enough to take of himself. Warm wash cloths might also work. If you handle this gently, you may be able to convince him at 6 weeks of age that baths are not the end of the world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! They're four months now, I got them when they were 6 weeks. I do have a roomie who might be able to assist but she's also allergic to cats so I think I'll try to see if there's a volunteer among my classmates first. Will ask around tomorrow. Thank you again!!

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sooser    Please let us know how made out with the kitty bath. BTW, don't use the blow drier on him afterwards, all you'll accomplish is scare him to death and you won't see him for a week! Towel dry as best you can and let him finish the job