Yesterdays news cat litter questions

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In march I switched from clay litter to equin pine because Im sensitive to clay now and my 16yr old cat was having issues with it since I switched to equine pin it seemed to reduce my symptoms and her symptoms but in the last few weeks my face has started to itch after scooping the equine pin and I noticed she started having issues again and now my kittens are sneezing I think its the equine pin

1 will the paper litter stop my allergys like face itch?
2 will the new kittens sneezing go away?
3 will the 16yr old symptoms improves?
4 how long will a 25lb bag of yesterdays new last for 4 boxes and 7 cats?
5 how do you scoop / clean the litter boxes?
6 is the other litters the cause of martys soft and or diarrea stools? He is on no grains pepcid probiotics he seems he want to straightin out but doesnt he has ibd
7 will the paper litter help marty out on his stool issues?

I dont really care on oder contral really if it improves most or all the bad symptoms
I might get it next month in july when i can if it seems worth it

If you have any more advice on it please tell me

lolcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1.likely 2.the kittens might be allergic to the pine litter 3.depends on what the cats symptoms are 4.idk I only have 2 cats but since there small I think itll last a while 5.use a cat litter scooper :p 6.diarrhea is caused by these

Dietary changes and/or food allergies or intolerances

inflammatory bowel disease

Colitis

Hyperthyroidism

Worms (intestinal parasites)

Pancreatic disease

Cancer

7.no (did he get the medication from a vet?)

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
In march I switched from clay litter to equin pine because Im sensitive to clay now and my 16yr old cat was having issues with it since I switched to equine pin it seemed to reduce my symptoms and her symptoms but in the last few weeks my face has started to itch after scooping the equine pin and I noticed she started having issues again and now my kittens are sneezing I think its the equine pin

1 will the paper litter stop my allergys like face itch? It's certainly possible.
2 will the new kittens sneezing go away? This depends. How long has the kitten been sneezing? Is the kitten a rescue kitten? It's possible that your kitten is not allergic to the litter; but, instead has the Herpes Virus.
3 will the 16yr old symptoms improves? I certainly think it's worth a try.
4 how long will a 25lb bag of yesterdays new last for 4 boxes and 7 cats? Honestly, I don't think it will last very long if you are splitting the bag between the 4 boxes. Maybe a few days, depending on how frequent and how much your cats use the litter boxes.
5 how do you scoop / clean the litter boxes? Yesterday's News is not a clumping type litter. You can remove the poop with a litter scoop; but, you cannot scoop out the urine. Thus, you have to dump the entire box more frequently than a clumping litter.
6 is the other litters the cause of martys soft and or diarrea stools? He is on no grains pepcid probiotics he seems he want to straightin out but doesnt he has ibd I highly doubt the litter is the cause for Marty's symptoms unless he is EATING the litter. If this is the case, you have another problem on your hands. Has Marty been to the vet recently? If not, this is the *first* place you need to start.
7 will the paper litter help marty out on his stool Above answer applies here too.
Blue Buffalo makes litter that is made of crushed walnut shells. They make both clumping and non-clumping (pellet) litter. Might be worth checking out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Marty has been to the vets recintly and I don't think he is eating the litter but who knows
And the kittens are Mikaelas they are 2 mos old they started sneezing 2 days ago
I'm going to try the paper litter first before I try the walnut one.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think the store where you buy the Equine Pine carries corn cob horse litter? I've been using it for a while now and I like it. It doesn't kick up my allergies (pine does) and the cats like it better than the pine pellets because it's smaller/softer pellets. Anyway, give it a try if you can find it.

If you do go with Yesterday's News, check the grocery stores. I can find it at Hy-Vee for cheaper than at PetCo or Petsmart.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to order off of chewy its like 26lbs for 14.99 i think

And I don't want to do corn because Marty is allergic to corn by eating it not sure how it would be if he touches it and I don't want to risk him eating the corn one because he ate corn cat food when I didn't know better I don't wan't him thinking it's kitty food yes I over think

luv2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cat has allergies and I switched to Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief crystal litter and "Butter"'s problems have improved since the switch.  I used Precious Cat Litter for years then researched crystal litter and found the Respiratory Relief litter.  Her eyes and nose don't drip/run as much as they used to since using this crystal litter.   It is now pretty hot and humid and I notice a slight odor - not urine/feces odor but just a smell around the litter boxes - guess it's just the litter.  I have read that when it is humid the crystal litter will absorb the humidity in the air and not last as long.  When pouring the litter I take my time so not to cause a lot of dust - this compared to their Senior Crystal brand is a lot less dusty.  You might want to give the Respiratory Relief a try, from what I have read the paper litter is quite dusty as is the corn litter.  She also would eat the clean corn litter when the boxes were changed, it seems a lot of cats do this.

I used WBCL for years until I got tired of the yellow dust on everything including my cats and it did a horrible job of odor control.  I also found ants in this litter from time to time.  I've tried just about all the "natural" litters and am not impressed with the performance of any of them (my opinion).  So far the Respiratory Relief is the best and gives "Butter" relief from her allergies and that is the most important. It is difficult to find in stores,  Dr. Elsey's company suggested Chewey.com which is where I purchased and also put myself on an automatic shipping program.  Do I like having to pay for shipping, certainly not but it is a straight $4.95 per shipment - sometimes we have no choice and the price is fairly good.  I have two cats and one bag will last about 3-4 weeks before I change out the litter.  The solid waste must be scooped and then give the litter a good stir - most time you don't have to scoop the wet litter, but when I find large lumps of used crystal I am able to scoop that too.  If you try the crystal make sure you read the instructions about how to get the best performance from this litter.  Good luck

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to order off of chewy its like 26lbs for 14.99 i think
That's not too bad I guess. The 13-pound bag is $5.99 at Hy-Vee so a little bit cheaper but not a ton. And they deliver to your house so that's nice too.

The corn cob litter doesn't seem to have anything corn-like about it. Cobs are made of cellulose so it's kind of like paper, but corn is more renewable than trees and the cobs usually go to waste anyway. My cats haven't tried to eat it, and it's not making anyone allergic. Allergies are caused by the protein in whatever substance, and I don't think cobs have any protein, just cellulose. It's not like the corn litters like WBCL; those are made from the actual corn not the cobs. I still think it's worth trying if you get a chance. I pay $8.99 for a 40-pound bag. I like it WAY more than Yesterday's News or any of the other natural litters I've tried. Much less dusty, doesn't make me allergic, has decent odor control, and doesn't track too bad.

I guess this litter is corn cob based: http://www.chewy.com/cat/natures-miracle-jfc-natural-care-cat/dp/43184 I've never used it so I can't vouch for it but it gets good reviews. And it's a bit pricey but if someone can only order from chewy it's an option.

Luv2Cats---if you buy more than $49 worth at a time from chewy, shipping is free. Might be worth your while to order 4 packages at a time and do your autoship less often, save money on shipping!

Last edited: