Yes, We Know They're Moggies. But Where Did All That Fur Come From?

Darkwave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In September of last year, my boyfriend and I adopted two kittens (both female), rescued by the local humane society from a hoarding situation. They were rescued at a week old and bottle-raised, and so we have no idea what the parents looked like or what their breeding was.

As they grew up, they sprouted hair and fur all over the place. At 15 months, they now have thick long fur, ear furnishings, tufted feet, thick bushy tails, britches, and ruffs. One is a tortoiseshell (named Topaz) while the other is pure white (named Quartz).

Their eyes were heavily damaged as kittens due to a Calicivirus infection when a week old. Quartz has one undamaged eye which is gold in color. Her other eye, and both of Topaz's eyes, are damaged to the point where one cannot tell what color the eye might have been.

We are very curious to know what breed all that fur might have come from - we debate between Ragamuffin, Siberian, and Norwegian Forest. I'm very curious as to what others' thoughts might be.

Some other identifying characteristics, and then pictures.

-Both of them weigh around 8 pounds at 15 months. As I noted above, they had a very rough early start - both nearly dying from neglect and the Calicivirus as week-old-kittens. That may have affected their final size.
-They still seem very kittenish, and my sense is that they haven't fully matured yet (which I understand is consistent with the larger long haired breeds).
-They have a definite break in the nose - not the long straight nose I've seen associated with Norwegian Forest Cats
-Both of them LOVE water. Quartz will park herself in the shower and cry until it's turned on; Topaz charges for the sink whenever it's running.
-Both go limp when you pick them up.
-Despite being bottle raised, both are well behaved sweet girls (a credit to the person who raised them).

Pictures.
19956931_10213875943236434_610656418099365144_o (1).jpg
IMG_20171111_1738016.jpg
IMG_20171111_2019160.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you looked into Maine Coons? I think that's more of a potential lookalike for these lovely young ladies. Norwegian Forest Cats would have a more triangular face; a more pronounced muzzle, and Siberians a rounder face. RagaMuffins have a general more rounded appearance in the head as well. The giant breeds do continue growing for up to four years, so they will likely get a bigger still.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkwave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. We had considered Maine Coons, but I thought those ears would be tufted (not just furnished - I think I have the lingo right) and I also thought the ears would be bigger. (but of course, what do I know :) )

OTOH, it seems that Maine Coons are more common in my area (Washington DC) than the other breeds I've mentioned, and so it's maybe a bit more likely the hoarders could have gotten hold of one of them and let it breed.

(the hoarders had a total of over 60 cats, with over 20 of them kittens of 4 weeks old or younger - that implies to me that there was a lot of indiscriminate mating being allowed to happen).

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The hoarder could easily started as a byb breeder, and thus his starting stock could be more or less purebreds. Whitie could easily have Turkish Angora background. Gray (diluted tortie? - whst is the eye color) could be a mco with inbreeding depression...

Darkwave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The hoarder could easily started as a byb breeder, and thus his starting stock could be more or less purebreds. Whitie could easily have Turkish Angora background. Gray (diluted tortie? - whst is the eye color) could be a mco with inbreeding depression...
Unfortunately, we can't be sure what the Tortie's eye color is. Both her eyes were badly damaged, with the different layers of the front surface fused together, so they're just black balls with white streaks - like marbles (she's functionally Blind). See below:
15873324_10211856102501678_437438587243714430_n.jpg
18671431_10213357927646368_8616701728980855508_o.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. We had considered Maine Coons, but I thought those ears would be tufted (not just furnished - I think I have the lingo right) and I also thought the ears would be bigger. (but of course, what do I know :) )

OTOH, it seems that Maine Coons are more common in my area (Washington DC) than the other breeds I've mentioned, and so it's maybe a bit more likely the hoarders could have gotten hold of one of them and let it breed.

(the hoarders had a total of over 60 cats, with over 20 of them kittens of 4 weeks old or younger - that implies to me that there was a lot of indiscriminate mating being allowed to happen).
Lynx tips (the ear tufts) are not actually in the breed standard for Maine Coons, while ear furnishings are. They might get extra points in the show ring for having them, but they're not at all required. So they'd be less expected in a Maine Coon mix, or even a pet quality Maine Coon.

I agree with StefanZ, that the white cat could have some Turkish Angora as well.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D Darkwave - There's no reason for me to post here, what with StefanZ StefanZ abyeb abyeb and sabian sabian already having posted (@mightyboosh must already be snuggled in for the evening with his own Maine Coon and Siberian), however, in the interest of "me too" posters everywhere, me too.

Topaz' Maine Coon muzzle is apparent (you're quite right about the "straight nose" in Norwegian Forest Cats, as are Abyeb and Stefanz regarding ear furnishings without Lynx Tips on MCOs, and the triangular facial shape of Weegies, vide my tiny Bob):

bob35.jpg

and Quartz' whole physique, bib and ear set fairly screams Angora ancestry. You have absolutely gorgeous kitties, and everyone here doubtless would like to see more of them in the Photo Threads Forum.

As an aside, Welcome to TCS, and thanks for sharing these photos of your beautiful Family!

Darkwave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone, and gorgeous pictures of the cats above! I really look forward to participating elsewhere on the site.

Interesting that people seem to think the two might have different backgrounds - we had assumed that they had the same parents, since they were the same age and are of similar builds with similar coats (in terms of composition, not color). But I can see what you are saying about the two muzzles being different. And I guess it's entirely possible, given their backgrounds, that they had the same mother but a different father, or even the same father but a different mother (and just happened to be born at the same time).