Yellow eye discharge, what could be the reason?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What could be the cause of a yellow eye discharge in a cat? It's the type that's yellowish and sticky. She was constantly tearing too prior to the eye drop medication. I've already brought my cat to the vet and vet suspected that her left tear duct is blocked. Done the dye test. Given three days of anti-inflammatory medication and 10 days of antibiotics eye drop. Her left eye is getting better and now her right eye starts to have yellow discharge too. Her right tear duct wasn't blocked during the time of the vet visit.

No sneezing and coughing.

I'm worrying now as her right eye is having yellowish discharge too. Anyone have any advice or experience to share about this?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TeaMatcha TeaMatcha !

To your first/original question, a yellow (or green) discharge usually indicates a bacterial infection.

If she were here ("my cat") I'd be calling the Vet and describing what is happening > original affected eye improving, right eye now discharging.

They will have documented what was "checked" and what was not.

Meantime, it's very easy for an infection like that to be spread from one eye to the other.

Now, you said "She was constantly tearing too prior to...(seeing the Vet and getting the drops prescribed)". I'm curious, when you said "constantly"......do you mean ever since you've had her......and, does the tearing come and go....and, is her nose ever runny, does she sneeze at all?

Many cats have been exposed to the herpes virus and carry it forever. Many seem unaffected and don't exhibit any symptoms. Some will experience flareups from time to time when the virus ramps up its activity, resulting in runny eyes (clear discharge, brownish when it dries) and noses. At these times it's easy for an infection to occur from the cat rubbing their eyes (though most cats will only have the flares). If an infection goes untreated, it can become serious ("conjunctivitis") and, without aggressive treatment the eye can be lost.

So, does she carry/"have" herpesvirus? You could have her tested, but that might seem pointless as there's no "cure", no way to eliminate it. But, if she's having periodic episodes of tearing/runny nose, it's safe to presume she carries it.

There is a relatively simple way to stop herpesvirus flareups and to keep them 'at bay'.

OK. I'll stop. Your turn!:lol:

Keep us updated!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had tremendous luck using DMG for herpes virus, much better than the L-lysine. My cats have leukemia, so even a simple infection could kill them. They have been alive for 4 years now since starting DMG. They used to get the runny eyes and nose, sneezing, two times a year. Nothing since. I give it in a lickable treat every morning. It is relatively cheap, a half a mg., a bottle lasts a long time. You can get it on Amazon, Target, or Walmart, online.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, has the vet checked her ears and mouth?
No the vet didn't checked on her ears and mouth. We clean her ears weekly and brush her mouth daily. I don't see anything that's out of usual. Her appetite seems okay too.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi TeaMatcha TeaMatcha !

To your first/original question, a yellow (or green) discharge usually indicates a bacterial infection.

If she were here ("my cat") I'd be calling the Vet and describing what is happening > original affected eye improving, right eye now discharging.

They will have documented what was "checked" and what was not.

Meantime, it's very easy for an infection like that to be spread from one eye to the other.

Now, you said "She was constantly tearing too prior to...(seeing the Vet and getting the drops prescribed)". I'm curious, when you said "constantly"......do you mean ever since you've had her......and, does the tearing come and go....and, is her nose ever runny, does she sneeze at all?

Many cats have been exposed to the herpes virus and carry it forever. Many seem unaffected and don't exhibit any symptoms. Some will experience flareups from time to time when the virus ramps up its activity, resulting in runny eyes (clear discharge, brownish when it dries) and noses. At these times it's easy for an infection to occur from the cat rubbing their eyes (though most cats will only have the flares). If an infection goes untreated, it can become serious ("conjunctivitis") and, without aggressive treatment the eye can be lost.

So, does she carry/"have" herpesvirus? You could have her tested, but that might seem pointless as there's no "cure", no way to eliminate it. But, if she's having periodic episodes of tearing/runny nose, it's safe to presume she carries it.

There is a relatively simple way to stop herpesvirus flareups and to keep them 'at bay'.

OK. I'll stop. Your turn!:lol:

Keep us updated!
The 'constantly tearing' is when she's feeling uncomfortable with her left eye, and that's when I noticed that something is wrong hence I brought her in to the vet. Hmmm, on any usual day, there's no constant tearing. However, she does have old scarring on both her eyeball prior to me adopting her off the streets. Vet mentioned that it's due to old scarring. On some days, when she eats her wet food, tears will spilled out of either one of her eyes and I got to clean it dry for her. But that doesn't happen on a daily basis, it's only occasionally.

For now, I've messaged her vet clinic about her right eye issues and I'm awaiting for a reply from them. Meanwhile, I applied the eyedrop on her right eye too for in case. Not sure what's causing the infection but for in case, I'll be washing all her beds and toys, in hope that it'll help with her eyes.

Not sure if she have herpes. There's no sneezing or nose discharge. Mouth and gums seems fine. She's negative from Felv and FIV too. I've tested her twice since I gotten her for felv and both times are negative results.

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had tremendous luck using DMG for herpes virus, much better than the L-lysine. My cats have leukemia, so even a simple infection could kill them. They have been alive for 4 years now since starting DMG. They used to get the runny eyes and nose, sneezing, two times a year. Nothing since. I give it in a lickable treat every morning. It is relatively cheap, a half a mg., a bottle lasts a long time. You can get it on Amazon, Target, or Walmart, online.
I'm giving my cat lysine daily since last Saturday as she started sneezing since then :( Contacted her vet but they said to continue with the eye medication and monitor. I'm thinking it must be a cat flu. Not sure how she gotten it and not sure if there's any medication for her. Her eyes are doing better now, it's just the sneezing. It usually happen when she's grooming herself. It's either early in the morning or late at night that she will sneezes.