Yellow and pink-ish discharge

Souptime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! This is my first time ever using this site and I hope I’m not breaking any rules or whatever lol.
I’m 17 and my mom is with me, I’m writing since we’re from Sweden and she isn’t exactly the best at English.

Our cat Freya is pregnant, we don’t know exactly how far gone she is because we don’t know exactly when she got pregnant, she is a master at escaping and has done so many times, she’s getting spayed as soon as possible, she’s an indoor cat and we never intended for her to get pregnant. All we know is that she’s really far gone, her nipples are huge and she started nesting about a week ago.

anyways on to the actual question! Yesterday at 4 pm (it’s 12pm the next day as I’m writing this) she started having vaginal discharge, at first it was quite a lot, it’s been both yellow and pink ish, sometimes a teeny bit of blood. She was acting really clingy, she wouldn’t let us walk away and would basically scream at us. She stopped eating and then started nesting, in the sofa of all places, we have 3 boxes set up for her but she seems to like the sofa better lol.
We figured it was time for her to have her kittens and so we waited..
She seemed to be in a little bit of pain, her pupils got small and she was panting, then about an hour later it stopped, she seemed completely fine and even started eating again, she even used the litter box twice.
Is it possible she started labor and then stopped? Her stomach was moving a little bit, she wasn’t pushing but it seemed like she was doing something at least.

she’s still having a little bit of discharge, it’s yellow and pink ish, she’s eating well, drinking And using the litter-box. She’s also a bit clingy but sometimes goes to lay on the floor. I stayed up all night with her and she was sleeping fine.
She’s acting normal but I’m worried about the discharge. I’ve googled a lot and some say it’s normal for cats to have discharge a few days before giving birth, others say it could possibly be something wrong.

should we be worried? She’s acting normal, eating, sleeping, drinking and doesn’t seem to be in any pain. I’m mainly anxious because she seemed to be in pain yesterday and then it just stopped out of nowhere.

we’re thinking about calling the vet tomorrow first thing in the morning tomorrow, until then, does anyone know if this is something we should be super worried about? We don’t want her to go to the vet unless it’s necessary because she hates car rides and we don’t want to stress her out.
I could feel the kittens moving today but not as much as they usually do. Which also makes me wonder if she was in pain because they got in their right positions or something?

I’m sorry for the rant but I’m extremely scared something will go wrong as we recently had one of our other cats go missing a few days ago and we’re thinking he’s probably dead, his brother is extremely sad at the moment. Freya is very important to me and has helped me a lot since I got depressed and dropped out of school.

I appreciate any answers We can get!❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though she is at the very end of her pregnancy, and yellow, brownish, and pinkish discharge are normal in the days before labor and delivery. A lot of bright red blood is not normal. It also sounds like she was experiencing Braxton-Hicks contractions, which do start and stop as a form of pre-labor, as her body prepares for the real deal. How is she today?

Souptime Souptime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Souptime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for answering, I’m a bit relieved haha! She’s doing fine, eating, drinking and using the litter box as normal, sleeping a lot. The discharge is still coming sometimes but other than that she’s acting normal!

I’ll update if anything happens :)

Souptime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update!
We called the vet and they told us to wait and call again if we notice she stops eating, drinking or using the litter box. Everything seems good for now :yess:
The discharge stopped coming yesterday at around 9pm, it came back today, the vet also said it seemed normal, but to call in if the color changed :)
I’ll update later!

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update!
We called the vet and they told us to wait and call again if we notice she stops eating, drinking or using the litter box. Everything seems good for now :yess:
The discharge stopped coming yesterday at around 9pm, it came back today, the vet also said it seemed normal, but to call in if the color changed :)
I’ll update later!
Any updates?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is all normal. The kittens are most likely lined up ready to be born, so won't be as active. Any time now, though it could be a few days (i know that isn't what you want to hear!).As long as she is acting pretty normal, not screaming in distress or pain, not pacing, and acting in pain, not hiding, she should be fine. That is what you look for between kittens too, acting normal, no distress. She may want you near, or not, let her decide.

Souptime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE!! She started having contractions right now so kittens should be here any time! She woke me up and she wants us to sit with her :)

Souptime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all I would like to thank everyone that has helped us through all of this, it means a lot! <3

we sadly had to rush Freja to the vet today as she started having contractions yesterday and nothing seemed to happen. She needed to have emergency surgery because the one kitten she had in her womb was stuck and dead, it most likely died a few days ago and she couldn’t push it out.

We just arrived home after a whole day at the
vet being worried sick. She’s doing okay right now, high on meds and seems to look for her kittens but other than that she’s pretty calm. Demanding a lot of hugs and kisses from us. I’ll be staying up with her all night to make sure nothing bad happens.

some positive news though is that our cat that has been missing for 2 weeks came home yesterday! He’s super skinny and has probably been locked in a shed somewhere. We took him to the vet today as well but they said he’d be fine as long as he continues to eat, drink and use the litter box. He’s lost almost 2kg and looks like a skeleton but there’s not much they can do but feed him. But of course we’ll come back if he seems to get bad, but as of right now he’s thriving!

this past week has been a roller coaster, I’m euphoric and devastated at the same time, luckily they kinda even each other out most of the time.
I know there’s not much we could’ve done to prevent any of this from happening, sometimes life just doesn’t go as planned I guess.

I don’t think I’ll update anymore after this, but thanks once again for all the help! <3 :)
(Our baby Freja right now :cloud9:)

Attachments

Souptime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Side note! Before anyone asks, she’s 3 years old, she looks like a literal baby though :crazy:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry for the hardship. She’s a beauty and will be back to herself soon. Happy that your boy is back too! What timing! You saved her life getting her to the vet. I hope all goes well from here on out. We’re here if you need us. :lovecat2: