Yelling at your cat

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had some very rough couple of days and the bubble happened to burst right when I was trying to negotiate with my troublesome kitten. It's the first time I yell at her seriously. It came as a big one. My throat feels a little sore. You get the point. It was also followed by her bath, so there's double the damage... 

My question is, what can I do about it now? I don't want the little one to resent me, we have such a close relationship so far. 

Do treats help? Speaking kindly? Will she forget ?(soon? in time?) Or do cats hold a grudge for like ever?

Do cats love you even if you're being a jerk to them as long as you're the one providing food? (Not that I want to be a jerk, mind you, I just feel like one.)

Last edited:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she acting wary of you or upset toward you? I yell at my cats every few weeks when they get annoying, and they'll be skittish for a couple minutes but then calm back down. I don't think you have anything to worry about if you two are on good terms like you said. The same goes for giving her a bath. When my younger cat was a kitten he used to get messy and I had to give him a couple baths. He hated it, but he was fine after I dried him off. I do have to ask, is there a particular reason you are bathing her? Cats are usually very cleanly and most never need to be bathed. I haven't bathed that cat since he was a kitten, and I have never bathed my other cat.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part, cats live in the moment and that seems to about cover verbal communicaton with the cat(s). About the only yelling that my cats pay attention to is OW OW OW, or cats cats supper and the rest, they ignore. Your cat is probably more offended by the bath than the yelling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she acting wary of you or upset toward you? I yell at my cats every few weeks when they get annoying, and they'll be skittish for a couple minutes but then calm back down. I don't think you have anything to worry about if you two are on good terms like you said. The same goes for giving her a bath. When my younger cat was a kitten he used to get messy and I had to give him a couple baths. He hated it, but he was fine after I dried him off. I do have to ask, is there a particular reason you are bathing her? Cats are usually very cleanly and most never need to be bathed. I haven't bathed that cat since he was a kitten, and I have never bathed my other cat.
She's not, we're best of buddies again. I was just overly worried there for a moment. There's just something really awkward about seeing your cat rushing back to your room with her tail between her legs. :))

The reason I gave her a bath was that there was a major cleaning situation in the entire house and at the end of it I washed everything, including myself and Jo. I don't wash her regularily.
For the most part, cats live in the moment and that seems to about cover verbal communicaton with the cat(s). About the only yelling that my cats pay attention to is OW OW OW, or cats cats supper and the rest, they ignore. Your cat is probably more offended by the bath than the yelling
Yay, I'm so glad cats are not grudge holders!