Yearning…the cat that walks by himself

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t know if other folks have cats they‘ve transmogrified from being “indoor/outdoor” to strictly indoor, for whatever reason. Mine is now indoor due to age and due to respect for birds. But he peers at night through a windowpane. So intently, I wonder if he sees a fox, another feral, or just yearns for the wild life. Am wondering what to do about the yearning…the “Elsa” factor. I almost feel like….temporarily introducing say, an ancient Momma cat, that could reduce the pang of being an only cat. All I know is I feel his ‘calling,’ that X factor that is never entirely tamed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
I think he's watching something outside that's getting his interest, or watching to see whether something he'd noticed previously appears again. Or, he is simply watching.

My angel Poppycat did this nearly every night, and he was a bit drooly even with regular dentals, so I'd have to wipe the windows clean frequently lol, bless him. He was an indoor kitty all his life but we have ferals, strays and wildlife crossing our backyard so there was a lot to see.

I don't know that your boy needs another cat in his world, but you did mention temporarily, just to try. I think you'll find that he still watches out his window anyway.

Whether it's yearning I can't say, but I've read many times that members who have brought cats indoors from the feral life often find that those cats have zero interest in ever going back out :).

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you harness train him and walk him each day. This might satisfy his yearning. What about a catio, is it possible to build one for him so he can go outside and be safe.