Yearly physical/stress

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
    Hi everyone, I have a five year old cat named Palmer who's yearly exam is coming up at the vets office and I had some questions.  Palmer gets very nervous when he goes to the vet and sometimes after I take him in his cystitis flares up and then we have to take him back for treatment which is usually steroids that can lead to health problems down the road.  so I'm debating weather or not I should even take him in for a well visit if it's going to cause more of a problem for him then not going.  He doesn't like feliway or other natural products, he hates new smells.  It's so hard to know what to do, In NYS rabies shots are supposed to be the law but almost all of the people I know don't bother getting them for their cats.  The only thing about his health that I am concerned about is one of his back claws has a black thin line running down the middle of it, I think he hit in when playing one day so I don't know if the vet should look at that or not.   I don't what to do, I want him to be as healthy as possible but it seems like bringing him in is more of a problem than not going.  Please help if you can. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for your replay.  I have tried searching for a house call vet in my area but I can't find one.  The vet he sees is so good it's just the stress of the car ride and he hates other cats.  He doesn't act too nervous when he's there but then a falre up dose somtimes happen and thats what im worried about. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
maybe the vet can offer a sedative for the cat to take before going, to help him relax a little?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion, are sedatives safe, he has a lot of allergies to different things I would hate for him to be allergic to what they gave him?  Say if he didn't have this problem does everyone on here take their cats to the vet once a year and get vaccines?

Last edited: