XP or Windows 7?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Thanks for the heads-up....I'll do that. Better to play it safe than run into problems later. My son didn't have any problems, but I know the way my luck runs!
Yep. The problem is that XP is from what? 2001-ish? and you're computer is probably less than two years old.

Service packs could fix some issues, but what if there's no patch/fix or you can't even get to that stage?

Good luck with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, OP here.

Right about the time I decided I could get one, my car insurance took out $150 extra from my account. So Yay! Haha. The clearance netbook (with xp) was gone right after that. So I just decided to research. I could get a full sized laptop for $350, or a netbook for $300. I decided to get a laptop. It would have to wait until january, if I wanted to eat ramen noodles the entire first month of the year, so preferably february. Then this stupid netbook started giving me trouble, so on saturday, I ordered an older sony vaio on ebay. It has 512mb ram (sufficient), 40g hd (this netbook has 4), dvd, wireless internet, and it works. For $117. It shipped out yesterday, and my netbook must have gotten word, because it jumped of the couch (dog might have helped), and broke it's screen. Today. So if there are typos, it's because I can't read part of what I'm posting.

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really like Windows 7. It almost seems a bit Mac OS-ish.
If I could afford a Mac, the PC would be trash.

mistygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom has windows xp on her main computer and windows vista on her laptop. I prefer vista the most. I have heard good and bad about windows 7. The best thing to do is research it on the internet by looking up windows 7 reviews and read the view points of other people who have used it. Just put in google search engine "windows 7 reviews".

Hugs,
Anne

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm an I.T. person in the real world ... I find that many large companies are still sticking with XP Pro. Even though it is an old OS, it is quite stable, and MS is still supporting it with updates/patches.

You can still order computers with XP Pro licensed and installed (on the mfg websites, like Dell/Gateway/HP/Acer, check the section on business computers). You can also order a computer with Windows 7 and an "XP downgrade" - meaning that you are licensed for either, but the computer comes with XP installed. The fact that MS still offers this "downgrade" is a good indicator that XP isn't going away any time in the immediate future.

AFAIK, Windows 7 is a "new-and-improved" version of Vista - the "kernel" is unchanged (from Vista), but the user interface and some of the features have been streamlined and/or fixed.

If you're starting from scratch, ie, a new computer, Windows 7 is probably a good bet. If you love XP and don't like change or don't care to have to get comfy with a new OS right now, then get a new comptuer with XP.

If you are in a situation where you might need to join a computer to a Domain (as opposed to a "workgroup"), then be sure to get the "Pro" version of the OS.

Just my $.02 !!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am hearing that one big improvement in 7 over Vista is that they put the fax program back into 7 after taking it out of Vista.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping this up from a month ago, I just installed Windows 7 on my laptop. I love it, it runs soooo much faster than Vista. Even scrolling up and down seems to be faster.
I also got a 2010 beta version of MS office, which I am loving also.

Getting a new OS is almost like getting a new computer, it feels really nice at first
But we'll see how it goes...I doubt it is without any problems.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used both and I would go with XP, hands down, no contest.

The company I work for also uses XP and refuses to upgrade their systems. They like technology that works.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fisheater

They like technology that works.
So why are they using Windows? (I know, that's a cheap shot
) They'll have to upgrade their computers eventually. There's not really any way around it unless one wants to run outdated software and at a very slow pace with no support for any sort of new hardware.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby bought me the Acer Netbook for Valentines Day. It was $299 at Staples. We took it back because it is so small it was hard for both of us to type on. In place of it we bought a Compaq, 15.6 inch screen that with the $30 rebate only comes to $50 more. I know it has Windows 7, but we only got it yesterday so I can't really make any comparisons yet.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well so far I'd take a mac over windows any day (snow leopard is excellent) but between XP and 7, I'd go with 7. It is different and takes some getting used to, but after I played around with some of the settings for some programs, it's working great. It loads faster, there are some neat little things you can do (like "shake" and "snap"), and it's easy enough for the average user but it also has it's advanced qualities for more experienced people. It may not be as compatible as other versions of windows, but with a bit of effort, almost anything can work with it.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Well so far I'd take a mac over windows any day (snow leopard is excellent) but between XP and 7, I'd go with 7. It is different and takes some getting used to, but after I played around with some of the settings for some programs, it's working great. It loads faster, there are some neat little things you can do (like "shake" and "snap"), and it's easy enough for the average user but it also has it's advanced qualities for more experienced people. It may not be as compatible as other versions of windows, but with a bit of effort, almost anything can work with it.
I don't use mac on an everyday basis, but unfortunately you can't really play any games using a mac OS
It's a pretty big downside for me...
But of course there is parallels which is so convenient and you can switch to windows 7 quickly just for the game...
I agree Windows 7 loads much, much faster!! I really like it. I think the graphics are improved too, I don't know anything about this, but the wallpapers I use are much clearer and better looking.