X-ray At The Vet - Safe?

simbasmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I took my cat to the vet because she suddenly stopped eating, had diarrhea for a few days, was peeing in inappropriate places, and was vomiting and retching that morning. However, the vet says she's completely normal and doesn't have any of those problems at the vet (I left her there for him to observe her overnight). He says she doesn't have diarrhea, doesn't vomit, doesn't refuse to eat...? It's so odd and relieving at the same time, but I'm scared I might bring her back home and then the symptoms would start showing again because then I'm not sure I'll be able to get her back into the carrier (she's a smart kitty and a fast learner). Should I do an x-ray to see if something's stuck in her stomach? The doctor says that it might be the case but doesn't think it's necessary, seeing how well she's doing there.

Is x-ray on feline completely safe? I don't wish to do something unnecessary that will do more harm than good.

Thank you!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
X-rays are noninvasive and as safe for animals as they are for humans.

I'm wondering if she couldn't have gotten into something in your home that caused the issue, and had purged it by the time you got her to the vet. Take the time that she is there to go over your home and make sure she can't get into things with strings that can be swallowed (and they WILL swallow strings!), cleaning supplies, anything like that. Have there been any major stressors in the house lately? Big changes can throw a cat for a loop. Even some small (to us) ones can, as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simbasmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
X-rays are noninvasive and as safe for animals as they are for humans.

I'm wondering if she couldn't have gotten into something in your home that caused the issue, and had purged it by the time you got her to the vet. Take the time that she is there to go over your home and make sure she can't get into things with strings that can be swallowed (and they WILL swallow strings!), cleaning supplies, anything like that. Have there been any major stressors in the house lately? Big changes can throw a cat for a loop. Even some small (to us) ones can, as well!
Thank you for your reply!

I'm thinking probably the tiny strings that she picks off the carpet. The only major change would've been the removal of the carpet she normally lounges around on (and she's peed on) and the change in the position of my bed... But the change was after she'd started showing sick signs. I'm assuming it's the blue strands from the carpet which kept sticking to her toes because her nails are super long and sharp and she wouldn't let me trim them (she used to be a feral cat and was brought in 2 months ago - she was hiding till last month but now she's the sweetest kitty ever and rubs on me 24/7).

Could that be a problem?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be. Unlikely, but could be. Most of the time, if string is an issue, it is a LONG strand that has gotten twisted around inside the intestines and strangles them, necessitating surgery, but you don't have that problem, thank goodness. I suppose it might be possible for short lengths of carpet fiber to ball up in the stomach or intestines, and it would certainly cause just such problems, but I can't find a reference to that specific thing happening. Not saying it hasn't, because I'm thinking it must have at some point, but it didn't come up on a google search!