Wysong Fundamentals

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Has anyone tried Wysong Fundamentals? http://www.chewy.com/dog/wysong-fundamentals-dry-dog-cat-food/dp/101545

I have an extremely stubborn kibble addict with a sensitive stomach, so I was looking for a high protein dry food with relatively simple ingredients, and no potato or veggies. This seems to fit the bill, but I haven't heard anything about it before. Opinions?
Before I recently went to all wet I was considering Wysong .  I think their kibble is pretty good .. Some are very low carb as well ..  The company sent me this chart with  the Dry Matter Anaylsis for all their formulas ..

http://www.wysong.net/pet-health-and-nutrition/documents/Dry-Matter-Analysis-of-Wysong-Pet-Foods.pdf

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fed Wysong Epigen 90 dry at night for almost a couple of years and then they changed their formula a little bit and the packaging!! Then, all of the sudden my cats would not eat it anymore. I was so disappointed and posted my review on Amazon along with others who were complaining about the same issue. I have not tried any of their other kibbles, nor can I comment on their new Fundamental diet. I really do think they are the best as far as lowest carb out there in the market but now I am very hesitant to go back to them.

Here is the original Epigen - not the 90 - but the Epigen and the 90 are just about the same ingredients. If you scroll over the ingredient icon you can zoom in and see the list.
Here is the new Epigen 90 with the new packaging. You can see Meat Protein Isolate as the third ingredient now and then Gelatin. PLUS other changes in the first seven ingredients making it a completely different food. WHY they did it - who knows and very frustrating that it happened. You can also read the reviews on this new formulation. Bad news from most everyone.

My cats would not touch the stuff anymore. :sigh: I am now back to EVO and/or Orijen as a dry food back-up.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they still sell the regular Epigen AND the Epigen 90. At least on chewy. I bought a bag of each for my ferret just last month, I mix it with Evo. Costs too much for the cats but the weezel is doing very well for his age.

I mostly think Wysong as a company is sort of wackity. They make some weird claims. And some of their foods aren't very good at all. The Fundamentals line looks decent but somewhat overpriced for the quality, IMO.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think they still sell the regular Epigen AND the Epigen 90. At least on chewy. I bought a bag of each for my ferret just last month, I mix it with Evo. Costs too much for the cats but the weezel is doing very well for his age.

I mostly think Wysong as a company is sort of wackity. They make some weird claims. And some of their foods aren't very good at all. The Fundamentals line looks decent but somewhat overpriced for the quality, IMO.
:lol3: Agree with your use of the word "wacky" !!!

OH WOW - I would LOVE to find the Original. Will have to check out Chewy's and thanks for mentioning it. I always buy from Amazon because I get free shipping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that Wysong in general is a strange company. It's hard to find a basic chicken-and-rice food with more than the standard 32% protein though, so I'm going to try the Fundamentals.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that Wysong in general is a strange company. It's hard to find a basic chicken-and-rice food with more than the standard 32% protein though, so I'm going to try the Fundamentals.
Absolutely - give it a try. No harm and I do agree it is really hard to find a limited diet with a high protein. Please let us know how you and your cats approve by reporting back. :nod:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to update - Charlie has been eating this food for a few weeks now and so far, I'm very happy with it. He likes it a lot and isn't having any problems digesting it. IMO it's a good option if anyone else is looking for a limited ingredient diet that isn't based on potatoes or peas. I really like that all the protein in this is from meat, since that's hard to find in dry food of any kind.

mooniesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats have switched over to Wysong Fundamentals and love it. I tried the Epigen all meat, no grain canned food and even my big eater wouldn't touch it. I like that it contains pre & probiotics in it too. Wysong was very highly rated in a research study of grain-free, preservative-free,high-protein cat diet products from a company with no history of recalls of their products.