Wysong Epigen 90 and diarrhea

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We started feeding this to my cats and immediately they had severe diarrhea and vomiting. I’ve read up on it and as it turns out, many other pet owners have similar reports. I thought this was a highly vetted brand, but just wanted to share to proceed with caution.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We started feeding this to my cats and immediately they had severe diarrhea and vomiting. I’ve read up on it and as it turns out, many other pet owners have similar reports. I thought this was a highly vetted brand, but just wanted to share to proceed with caution.
Thanks for passing this along….

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's extremely high in protein,and if people don't very slowly introduce it to their cats, I can definitely see how it could cause diarrhea. ANY change in diet, particular dry food, should be done slowly. For this food, I would go 10% Epigen to 90% of the old food for a few days, and if there are no issues, then increase to maybe 20% Epigen to 80% old food and so on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's extremely high in protein,and if people don't very slowly introduce it to their cats, I can definitely see how it could cause diarrhea. ANY change in diet, particular dry food, should be done slowly. For this food, I would go 10% Epigen to 90% of the old food for a few days, and if there are no issues, then increase to maybe 20% Epigen to 80% old food and so on.
We did something very similar, introduction ratio is important, but will not prevent a reaction.

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with this brand; it has everything right. High protein, low carbs, quality protein [no pork, etc.] - but for some reason all my cats have this stinky, watery stool coming out the other end.

Why?

Should I mix with Dr. Elsey's clean protein?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you did not slowly introduce the Epigen 90, then absolutely you should mix in some of their old food. Did you see my post above talking about the ratio of new food to old? That's very important, especially when starting to feed this very high protein food.