Wrong homemade cat food batch and a little diarrhea

agaro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All

I'm feeding Dr. Lisa A. Pierson's raw diet to my cats for over a year with no problems. But... there is always a but...

But in the last month I noticed little signs of diarrhea in the litter box and I had to check my cooking annotations and I figured out I made a wrong food batch and feed it to my cats for three weeks. Now I'm a little worried.

I have doubled the amount of salt and liver in this food batch, I must have done a wrong conversion since I was trying to make a larger batch, four times larger, and I'm from Brazil and we use the metric system here. Quickly I made a new batch and I started to it feed to my cats and there was no more sign of diarrhea... for more one week when the diarrhea started again and even worse.

After another week my cats are getting better after antibiotic shots, anthelmintic pills, probiotics and as the vet asked I'm now feeding dry food, making cat food is not much believed here. I tried once to reintroduce the homemade diet with a new batch and they have got diarrhea again. My cats live indoor only.

To skip with more details and beeing said I have made it wrong I would be glad to hear what you all think about this situation.

What kind of harm the wrong food batch may be done to them? Is the diarrhea related to this wrong batch? What can I ask to my vet to figure out what are wrong with them?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

oliverwinston

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's always best to go with what your vet suggests...assuming you trust and like your vet. My kittens had diarrhea when they first got into the raw diet and I got very worried. The vet have antibiotics and I told her I had probiotics on the way she said that was great. After a couple days it went away and I stopped the antibiotic treatment early as it's pretty generic and also kind of harmful. I got the impression their digestive system got out of whack and the probiotics straightened everything out.

Try giving them the probiotics once a day and see how they do. I give it every morning and their poop is 100% normal for a raw diet. They got a little constipated actually and I had to lessen the bone content but yeah everything seems well

I use NOW -10 probiotic I think. I get them each a pill a day. I stated with a half a pill each