Wrestling with a toy

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gizmo has a couple dog toys that I got him a while back.  One's this rabbit that has held up really well despite how roughly it's treated.  His favorite thing is for me to hold it and wiggle it while he wrestles and does his best attempt at killing it.  But I'm wondering is this really okay for me to be doing with him?  I'm not playing with him directly with my hands but I am holding onto that rabbit.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's good to have a bit of distance, but Gizmo is fighting with the rabbit, not your hand, so I reckon it's OK.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it sounds ok to me; as long as he can't reach your hand.  Is Gizmo a kitten or full grown?  If he's a kitten; I'd be cautious. But if he's grown and not doing damage then you might be ok to continue like that.  

Noodles used to steal a stuffed Easter bunny I had and carry it around.  Does he like it when you don't make it move?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's 7 months old and last time I took him to the vet he was 9.7 pounds.  It's amazing how quickly he's grown! 

He really likes it when I move it around either if it's shaking it, waving it, or making it "hide".  Hiding consists of hiding it behind an object and letting it "peek" from behind the object.  He often likes to pounce toys when they're hidden behind something.

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is absolutely okay, and actually great for your cat. Cats need to have interactive play like that, it simulates a real hunt a lot better than just tossing a toy at him and letting him play by himself, and it helps him get exercise and improves the bond between you two. I'm a big believer in varying interactive play and playing down on their level like that as well as with fishing pole type toys.