Wow! Rufus LOVES raw!

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again, everyone, I'm the one who's been starting riots in the regular nutrition forum over grain fillers and bio-availability of protiens. I fed Rufus his first raw meal a couple of days ago (chopped chicken gizzards) and held my breath as he sniffed at it, then looked at me. He sniffed it again...and tucked right in! He loves raw meat!

Rufus is a big cat (15 pounds), maybe slightly overweight. I've been feeding him about 1/3 cup of raw meat in the morning and a 5.5oz can of organic, grain-free wet food in the evening with the contents of a fiber capsule mixed in. I'm trying to stay away from kibble for the most part, as I've heard so many horror stories about it.

Rufus's litter box habits seem normal--he takes him little time to do his business, it seems even less time than when he was on kibble and canned food. His stools are normal. He used to have a problem with gas (really foul gas, always when he was on someone's lap) but since I've started feeding the raw breakfasts, I haven't noticed it at all.

Raw food works miracles! I am fully converted!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! It's *soo* much easier when a kitty just takes to raw immediately!

I just skimmed a few of your past posts. IMHO you hit the nail square on the head with regards to "fillers" and "grain free" products.

It seems from your past posts that you are planning on introducing bones for dental health? If I were you I'd place high priority on this. It might take him a bit longer to get the knack of gnawing on bones and the sooner the better.

Have you noticed an increase in energy? That is what I was most struck by.

Keep us updated on your progress!

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Way to go!!

I was a believer/convert after feeding my cats raw for the very first time, too! Amazing how quickly you can see the benefits of the diet these animals are intended to eat, isn't it?

I agree with mschauer, get him to gnawing bones! Mine have been on raw for about 6 months now, and when they're crunching up their bones, i still get down on the floor on my elbows to watch them!
It's better than TV.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave him the bone from a lamb arm steak the day after I started him on the gizzards. He licked it but didn't understand chewing on it. When I pulled out the marrow with a knife he loved that, but I'm still working on the bones bit.

Are poultry bones OK as long as they are not cooked? I know cooked bones will splinter. I am concerned about his dental health--the vet says his teeth are in great shape, but I want to be sure and keep them that way.

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whammytap

Are poultry bones OK as long as they are not cooked? I know cooked bones will splinter. I am concerned about his dental health--the vet says his teeth are in great shape, but I want to be sure and keep them that way.
Yes, absolutely! In fact, they are some of the easiest to get started on. If you can find chicken necks, they are are a perfect "starter bone" - soft and easy to eat right away. Cut them into one inch pieces at first so it isn't overwhelming for him. That's what I started my guys on and now they can get through most of a chicken leg! Chicken wing tips are great to start with, too, and once he gets comfortable with crunching up those small bones you can move on to larger ones.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whammytap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will try some chicken necks next time I'm at the deli counter. If I can get Rufus to start gnawing bones, I will be convinced he's finally getting the diet he deserves!

deb roberson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so you are talking raw out of the package is that correct?
Do you wash it off first?
Sorry, I am just now sure I am understanding. Do you leave the skin on?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb Roberson

Ok, so you are talking raw out of the package is that correct?
Do you wash it off first?
Sorry, I am just now sure I am understanding. Do you leave the skin on?
YES You take off the packaging ... Just like you would for you...

I would cold water rinse some do some do not

most leave the skin on , some cats do not like skin