Wound on indoor cats face

sjanes913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed my kitty Sur had been intoning his cheek a lot the past week. A few days ago I noticed some cheek hairs with scabs attach to the end and did think much of it. Today I noticed a large scan on his cheek, he then proceed to scratch it off and now it looks like this..... any advice? I ordered some wound care liquid that had great reviews on chewy and cleaned it and put some aquafor on it. Does this warrant a vet visit? Could this be allergies? Maybe a little cut from playing with his baby brother that he scratched too much?

he seems totally fine and let’s me clean it and touch it with no issues. Still eating, drinking, playing and cuddling like normal.

Only issue he’s had is asthma, he gets an inhaled steroid 2x a day with Aerocat, which I’ve stopped for the time so the mask doesn’t affect the wound.
0ECBA55F-05B7-4F5F-8CD9-7CDDA344A34C.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby. It looks pretty clean but since he does have asthma and I assume allergies? I would give a call to the vet. Most vets now have a way you can send the photo too. It’s always better to check in with the vet if there is an open wound. That looks like a little more than just a swipe from brother. Cats do tend to scratch scabs but even if the vet just tells you it’s not a big issue, better to check.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd have the vet take a look at it. Sometimes a vet is willing to look at an emailed picture and give a diagnosis and treatment, saving you a trip to the office.

I wouldn't stop the inhaled medicine unless the vet says it's ok. Clean the Aerokat face mask after you use it. It looks like the wound is far enough back on the face that the fAerokat mask won't cover it or touch it at all.