Wound healing questions

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My 1-year-old cat has a small wound on his upper front leg (probably from roughhousing with my other cat--they love each other and play fight and play all the time).

I took him to the vet who said it was very small (it didn't look infected, there's no pus), she cleaned it and to be on the safe side gave me an antibiotic/steroid cream. She said he might try to lick it off (the cream is safe to ingest) and said if he does, then put an e-collar.

Well, of course he licked it right off, I put on the e-collar--which he HATES--and he managed to rip it off. So a week goes by, the wound is healing, meaning it formed a scab, some of the hair is growing back but he keeps licking it.

So tonight I decided to put on the e-collar once and for all (and dabbed a little of the lotion on again to be on the safe side). The wound is now teeny tiny (maybe the size of a tiny pencil point) but there's about a 1/2" of pink skin showing around it--that's clean--where he licked the hair off.

Since the wound is mostly healed, how long should I keep the e-collar on for? Till all the hair grows back? He's miserable in it.

Also, has anyone here had this experience? And how long does it take for the hair to grow back?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Since he's a persistent licker, and I'll bet it's itchy since it's healing lol, try and keep the collar on until the skin is completely healed over, likely just another day or so. Then keep an eye on it and if it still seems itchy to the point that he's still licking it, try a wash of cooled storebought chamomile tea. It will help ease the itch :)

I don't know for sure how long it'll take for actual hair to grow in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Since he's a persistent licker, and I'll bet it's itchy since it's healing lol, try and keep the collar on until the skin is completely healed over, likely just another day or so. Then keep an eye on it and if it still seems itchy to the point that he's still licking it, try a wash of cooled storebought chamomile tea. It will help ease the itch :)

Hi!

Thanks! Do you think I should keep the collar on until the hair grows in? Cause it seems like he licks the area (even thought there's really no substantive wound there). My fear is that the hair will never grow back and he'll keep irritating the skin by licking it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think I should keep the collar on until the hair grows in
No, try the tea first. I'm hoping once the skin is fully healed that it'll stop being so itchy, or if it is that the tea helps stop the itch.

But, if he's now got the habit going whether it actually itches or not, you might need to, so hang onto the collar just in case :)

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Will try it. I'll try the tea, initially, while the collar's still on.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let us know how things go with your baby :)!
Thanks! Will do. FYI, last night while I asleep, he figured out how to take off the ecollar and I woke up to it on the floor, lol.

The hair DID grow back a lot but, just like you said, the skin is very rough. I'm going out today to buy some cammoille tea. The ecollar is back on but hopefully the cammoille will help him and make it less itchy while it heals.

Question: how often should I put the cammoille tea on it? And how strong should I brew it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just regular brewing as if you were going to drink it.
A couple-three times a day. He might need more frequently but try this "schedule" first.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if it is a tiny scab, a collar isn't necessary. Licking is normal. As long as he doesn't bring new blood everything is fine. There is a wound spray at Tractor Supply that has bitters added and discourages licking, you might try that. I have had cats healing from abscesses/surgeries and it can take months for the hair to grow back completely.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if it is a tiny scab, a collar isn't necessary. Licking is normal. As long as he doesn't bring new blood everything is fine. There is a wound spray at Tractor Supply that has bitters added and discourages licking, you might try that. I have had cats healing from abscesses/surgeries and it can take months for the hair to grow back completely.
Thank you. Right now, the skin feels rough over a small 1/4" piece of skin. But there is no more open wound at all. I'm going to keep the collar on till tonight (just because of the scab and because he's been licking off scabs which have brought new blood) and then take it off.
And thanks for the wound spray recommendation.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just regular brewing as if you were going to drink it.
A couple-three times a day. He might need more frequently but try this "schedule" first.
Thank you! Will definitely try.

nerdgirl5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys!

Update: It's healing! The wound is completely gone and hair is really starting to grow back--that was fast!

I didn't end up doing the chamomille (only because the weather was super nasty yesterday and I'm getting over a cold and didn't want to chance it). But when I took the ecollar off to feed him, I noticed he wasn't licking it. And after dinner, I kept the ecollar off and he groomed himself (since the ecollar had been on all day) and wasn't focused on the wound. Mostly groomed around his head where the ecollar had been. I observed him for a few hours and decided not to put the ecollar back on and was VERY happy when I looked at it this morning and saw the progress.

But will continue to monitor him and if he does start licking it again and reopens the wound, will put the ecollar back on, apply the ointment and yes, do chamomille to help with the itching.

Thanks again, everybody! Your support has been incredible.