Would you recommend foam padding inside of a shelter (for comfort)?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cat shelters made from stryofoam boxes. They each have straw inside, and are lined inside with Mylar. Today I removed my queen sized mattress cover and cut it up to use for beds for the stray cats who sleep in my garage. I am tempted to put a piece of foam inside the shelters, as well, beneath the straw to give them more cushion. But I wonder if foam is similar to blankets in that blankets actually pull heat from the animal's body and defeat the purpose. I couldn't find any information about it so I thought I'd ask you guys.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I think foam is dangerous if kitty tears a piece and swallows it. I would use towels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ I think foam is dangerous if kitty tears a piece and swallows it. I would use towels.
towels are not a good option. Towels and blankets draws heat from the animal's body. Cat shelter 101. Naw cats aren't going to chew on foam.

Kaylee Skylyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think a mattress foam would behave like towels and draw heat away, and become damp ect. Unless its a solid foam like the styro boxes. But between the hay and styro I would not worry about their comfort, they should find it quite comfortable to rest on. Styro does give so I think it would be fine and even moreso with straw on top.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the Styrofoam and Straw are great!
If you want more padding, you can put another styrofoam sheet at the bottom, the ones I used in my shelters are the thinner ones and they have some give to them. I live in San Diego so I didn't need the really thick styrofoam.
Great Job! It's so great that others care for the Ferals too!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do use old memory foam along with fleece and Snuggle Safe discs in outdoor cat beds and everyone seems fine. Granted, this is LA and is not as cold as other places. I have never had a cat chew on the foam.