Would you own a black cat?

margarida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a black male polydactyl and he is the sweetest cat. I wouldn't give him away for anything. It's just superstition and you either choose to believe it or enjoy and love your kittie.

seline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really like very much black cats,I had one , loved him ,great character,beautifull lagoon blue eyes.Many cultures consider black cats.. The opposite..furtunate ones!! Same thing happened to me,best period of my life.[emoji]128047[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We specifically went out of our way to adopt a black kitten. All the shelters in the area have a lot of black cats. I've heard that its because they don"t photograph as well so its harder to represent them to people searching online for pets.

Here's our baby:

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately it does seem to be a strange phenomenon in shelters. It's actually called Black Cat Syndrome (a similar thing happens with black dogs, called Black Dog Syndrome). There are a lot of theories about why it happens but they range everywhere from black cats being harder to photograph well and advertise online to a subconscious fear of black cats that stems from the old superstition (though from what I can tell very few people actually believe that anymore). Most of the shelters around here at least ere on the side of caution and actually refuse to adopt out black cats around Halloween.

I personally love black cats. None of mine are solid black currently but a friend of mine used to have the most beautiful solid black girl named Dahlia, one of the sweetest cats I've ever met. I adored her. One of mine is a black and white tuxedo (my avatar) and she gets compliments all the time about how pretty she is. My girl who recently passed was also a dark tortoiseshell who looked solid black at night or in the dark, and I swear the instant she'd step outside every kid in the neighborhood would appear in my front yard asking to pet her. Outside of shelters it seems dark-colored or partially black cats get lots of attention.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have black cats in the neighborhood...its been to give them some shelter and/or keep sn eye out for them around Halloween. We have a few in our neighborhood...all are black...and we watch out for them and lure them close with food on Halloween.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ill be honest here. I dont think its just superstition. People simply dont like dark living things. They only like black objects like cars, tvs, laptops...etc. With that being said i think black cats are stunning. My benny is the best! Hes sweet, playful and cuddly and full of trouble.

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lots of black beauties in this thread!
Lastly, these kittens in the pictures below are not mine, but from the VBSPCA adoption center in PetSmart when I volunteered there back in 2013. They were just so adorable that I wanted to take them home really badly, but I lived in an apartment and was also moving cross-country in a few months.

kellie roberts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We own two black male cats.  I intentionally rescued one that was slightly injured because of his amazing green eyes, and when we decided to get him a little brother, I intentionally chose another black cat with green eyes at a local shelter.   I have always understood, like Stewball mentioned, that both black cats and dogs were often overlooked at the shelters.  

If  we lived in a large home instead of our RV I would go adopt 3-5 more .. all black
   Of course I say that, there were two orange/white 8mo old tabby males for adoption at PetCo yesterday .. my DH had to drag me away from their enclosure.  LOL

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it's hard to believe that there are still people in 2015 stupid enough to believe black cats are bad luck! i've had a black cat for the last 8 years and when he leaves this world i will get another. i think the little black panthers are beautiful!

paula freeman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a black cat and she was the sweetest cat ever. I called her my lap cat because she loved to curl up in my lap. I no longer have her but I wish she was still her. I miss her very much.

midnight harry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had many black cats through the years....why be superstious? They are pretty and handsome as the 1 year old we just adopted from a shelter...he is so much fun!! He is a long haired male with more energy and enthusiasm that I have ever seen...he is so funny and adorable...we love him so much!!

muircat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think black cats are very pretty, and I'd love to own one! My cat is tuxedo, so he does have quite a bit of black as it is. :)