Would you feed this bag?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got my order from Amazon and the bag was sliced and taped prior to being shipped to me. The long line that ends between the E and D is what I'm referring too.

Amazon already refunded me my money but I'm debating if I should toss it or use it? I feel wasteful and paranoid tossing it but at the same time I feel like my paranoia is at least somewhat justified.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like it got sliced when they opened the shipping crate to package it.

It probably won't hurt anything but your call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm sure it was just a slip of a box cutter, and taped immediately. I guess I'm worried it could be stale since air was introduced? No real way to know how long it's been on the shelf after it was sliced and bandaged. I guess my cats won't eat it if it's stale, right?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd toss that in the trash without hesitation.  There's a 99.999999% chance that it's perfectly good, and a .00000001% chance that some warehouse worker laced the food with something.  Russian roulette with my cats - not a chance.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel you -- I have to admit that I am a very frugal person, and I would feel pretty horrible throwing a huge bag of food out.  It just feels so wasteful!

However, that said... I would toss it (while shedding a few tears).  You have no idea when the bag was damaged, or what has happened to the food since then.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My conscience would bother me if I used the bag of food and I'd never forgive myself if something happened.  Since you received a refund you are not out the money.  I still remember the Tylenol scare years back when someone tampered with the bottles on the shelf and always think of that! 
  Your cat doesn't know that the bag was torn and can't make the decision of whether to eat the food or not but you can.  Better to be safe than sorry. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't shake a bad feeling about feeding it. I've already got the replacement heading to me and we haven't run out of food so there's no real emergency here. I had told someone else about it and they said, "don't throw away 10 lbs of free food, it's fine!" And it made me second guess myself. Glad I'm in good company here!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd toss that in the trash without hesitation.  There's a 99.999999% chance that it's perfectly good, and a .00000001% chance that some warehouse worker laced the food with something.  Russian roulette with my cats - not a chance.

While it would make me feel bad to throw out food but yeah Murpy's Law.