Would waiting until Friday put Trixie at risk of hepatic lipidosis

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made an appointment for my CKD cat Trixie to be seen this Friday for litterbox issues. Since I made the appointment, she seems to be threatening to go on a hunger strike - She did not touch her dry food, and didn't eat her canned food with her usual enthusiasm. This is the second time this has happened, as she went on a hunger strike in December also. I took her to an urgent care vet which rechecked her kidney values and gave her some fluids, and she pulled out of it that time.

I called the vet's office today, and was told that they can't work her in before Friday, but to let them know if I find another place that can work her in sooner. I want her to be seen by her regular vet, as I'm hoping they will give her a more thorough work up than urgent care would. However, I don't want to add hepatic lipidosis to her other problems. Does three or four mouthfuls of canned food a day sound adequate to stave of lipidosis, or would it be better for me to call around and get her seen?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about that but any time I have a question I call an emergency vet. Hope she feels better.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, Friday is too long to wait, in my opinion. She MIGHT be ok, but since she is eating so little, I wouldn't count on that at all. However, if you are set on her seeing her regular vet, you can syringe feed her. Take a small can of pate style cat food (no chunks/lumps). Mix it with water to form a slurry. Draw this up into a needleless syringe. Tuck the tip of the syringe into the corner of her mouth between her cheek and gum, and SLOWLY insert a bit at a time. No syringe? Every drugs store, grocery store and "Mart" store (Wal, K, Target) in the country carries medicine droppers that will work just as well. The fact that you are mixing the food with water will also keep her hydrated until Friday, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To give you an update - Trixie had her vet visit today. Her labs came back ok, except for some elevated white blood cell counts. The vet seemed to think she was in pain (from arthritis) as she gave her a buprenorphine shot and prescribed gabapentin and also KD with mobility instead of regular KD food. The good news is that she ate really well when she go home, so I think her appetite is better. I does look like she will need to be on arthritis meds of some sort.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They did check her kidney values. None of them were super high (her creatinine was 2.something). I will ask about CKD when I do the followup. A low sided litterbox might be a good idea also.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm looking at a low-entry box for Hek as well, as she's getting up there, and jumping is a problem...so I know there's some minor arthritis starting. HOWEVER, she's a "litter kicker," too, so I'm also looking for one of those honeycomb litter mats! If I don't do both, I may lose my mind (OH STOP LAUGHING...I know it's been gone for years).