Would Tests Be A Waste Of Money?

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since my previous cat was a senior with CKD and other issues, I always invested in relevant tests whenever anything bad or strange happened with her, to keep an eye on her various risk factors. Often the tests would come up with the same conclusions that me and the vet had come to prior to testing, but it was worth the investment for the few times that the tests brought up surprises and enabled us to treat unexpected problems early.

But now I have a 7-month old kitten and I'm struggling to decide just how paranoid I should be about testing. Jonesy is neutered, UTD on shots, and has been dewormed (two rounds, prior to my adoption of him). He is indoor-only and the only other cat he sometimes interacts with is the one who lives in the basement suite below us; a healthy 2-year-old male who is also neutered and UTD on shots. We've established that Jonesy has a fish allergy (fish causes his ears to fill with nasty wax, makes his eyes and nose run, makes him lose hair on his chin/neck, gives him diarrhea, and in moderate quantities makes him vomit extensively) but he also has various other food sensitivities that we are working on identifying. The non-fish trigger foods generally just give him smelly farts and diarrhea (but he doesn't poop any more frequently than usual), although with a couple things there has been a bit of blood and mucus with the diarrhea. So far we know for sure that wheat, duck, beef, dairy, and brocolli are culprits, and are looking at gums, agar, barley, and flavor additives as other possible problem ingredients.

But recently Jonesy has started having diarrhea even on the Instinct Limited Ingredient turkey kibble and cans that he previously had no issues with whatsoever. We have stopped experimenting with other foods for a couple weeks to try and settle his system, but the diarrhea persists. There's no blood or mucus, and he's only pooping once a day or every 2 days so he's not losing excessive amounts of fluids, and other than the diarrhea he is healthy, full of energy, and gaining weight at a healthy pace.

The vet is not concerned about running tests because of his young age and general good health, but will of course run any tests I ask for if I want to. If this were my old cat I'd be ordering a complete blood panel and x-rays, or even an ultrasound. But with Jonesy I'm not sure. I have the funds for such testing, but that money is also for emergencies so I don't want to waste it on something unnecessary and then leave myself stuck if an emergency does arise. The vet has suggested that Jonesy might have built a cumulative intolerance to the Instinct foods and thinks we should keep trying novel proteins to find a couple to rotate between to avoid cumulative reactions. With our previous experiments, we waited for him to have healthy poop for at least a few days in a row before trying anything new, but now that the diarrhea is constant it would be hard to judge how a new food is affecting him over a gradual transition period.

Would it be worthwhile to test for underlying conditions, or should I just keep experimenting with food as the vet suggests? Would any specific tests be particularly informative in this case?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is up to you. They give me a list of services with prices, and I cross out the ones I don't want to pay for. Tests will help provide clues and reassurances, but you "know your cat best," to quote a few vets (versus this vet trying to rush you out of his office).

I ran blood tests and xray, which showed my cat to be OK other than diarrhea. I did the xray after the metradonizol did not work and because I know my cat eats odd things, and he never had allergy issues before. I am now tackling common allergens, food and environmental, while trying to find a food he won't refuse and it is very hard because of all the weird ingredients and delayed symptoms. I do beleive the fecal exam is cheap and may explain some diarrhea, if not done already.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is a more extensive fecal that you can do, a PCR, which is sent to an outside lab. It's more expensive, but not prohibitively so. It tests for more unusual parasites and could easily be the issue rather than food. It seems unusual that a 7month old would already be having issues with "cumulative reaction" to food, in my humble opinion. Also, the constant change in food could be adding to his issues. Plus, when doing food trials, you really need to give several WEEKS between foods before you will notice changes, not just a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did a few microscopic fecal exams myself and found nothing (based on my background and the images I brought to the vet, she accepted my conclusions with those), but I will look into the genetic tests.

As for the food trials, I understand that it should normally be a few weeks but the vet advised me to stop any new food immediately if there is blood or mucus in the stool or if it causes vomitting, so I've been following that advice. The Instinct foods have been the only ones so far which didn't cause such a reaction within a few days to 2 weeks. The Instinct kibble and cans have been constant with him for 3 months, but we've been experimenting with small amounts of other foods during that time. The last 2 weeks have been just the Instinct and nothing else, with unchanging diarrhea. Should I continue with just the Instinct foods for a few more weeks, or try something else as the vet suggested?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Personally, I'd recheck for worms, run the PCR and try him on a different protein, if there is one you haven't tried yet. Instinct Ltd has Rabbit, don't they? Have you tried that one? I'm thinking if he's sensitive to duck, he might also be sensitive to turkey. Rabbit or Venison seem to be the least sensitive foods out there, from what I've read. Or Kangaroo. Someone recently needed to resort to Kangaroo!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The rabbit formula doesn't seem to have any supply around here for some reason, otherwise I would have chosen that over the turkey. I think I can order the rabbit online, though, so I'll try that. It seems to be the only brand that doesn't contain mystery ingredients like "flavor" or possible irritants like gums, so it's probably the safest bet for now.

At some point I'd Iike to switch to all-raw(I can get a wide variety of meats here), but I need Jonesy's digestion to stabilize so that we can find out what supplements he would be okay with.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a few microscopic fecal exams myself and found nothing (based on my background and the images I brought to the vet, she accepted my conclusions with those), but I will look into the genetic tests.

As for the food trials, I understand that it should normally be a few weeks but the vet advised me to stop any new food immediately if there is blood or mucus in the stool or if it causes vomitting, so I've been following that advice. The Instinct foods have been the only ones so far which didn't cause such a reaction within a few days to 2 weeks. The Instinct kibble and cans have been constant with him for 3 months, but we've been experimenting with small amounts of other foods during that time. The last 2 weeks have been just the Instinct and nothing else, with unchanging diarrhea. Should I continue with just the Instinct foods for a few more weeks, or try something else as the vet suggested?
The PCR test actually looks for the DNA of every known possible parasite. If it were me that is where I would start. It would be extremely rare for a cat this young to have developed something like IBD, I think a parasite of some sort would be much more likely. It has to be sent out and results take about a week to come back.