Would My 2 Boys Be Happier With A 3rd Cat Again?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may sound silly or strange, but I'm left with 2 cats and a dog since my beloved Inky died in June. Both of the cats I have left I've had since they were kittens and they're used to having more cats in the house than just them.
Skye just turned 13 and I got him from a shelter at 5 months okd, I adopted him together with a 5 year old female named Mandy who died 2 years ago. That's the problem, Skye is used to having at least 3 other cats in the house and my old dog since I got him. I took him and Mandy in and had an old cat who lived a year or two then died. I also took in two feral cats a year or 2 after Skye and Mandy and had them for about 10 years before they died of cancer. I got up to 7 cats for a few years when my mom died and I got her 2 adult cats and a kitten Ruby.
In the past 2.5 years, 5 cats and the old dog have all died from cancer or age related disease. Skye and Ruby, now 7, are the only 2 cats along with the dog I got a year and a half ago. I never want to get to having 7 cats ago, that was way too much!!! But these two seemed pretty upset at losing each of their brothers and sisters, 3 died a month apart each summer of 2015. Losing Inky after a painful 6 months battle with cancer and many surgeries and hospital stays devastated the cats, the dog and me and evetybody stopped eating for a while. The cats started sneezing for a week or two and the cats and dog wouldn't play for a month and everybody just curled up on my bed. Skye isolated and Inky's favorite toy mouse kept randomly appearing everywhere.
These two cats used to be best buddies and be the little bandits that would gang up on all the others and bully and play tricks on them. They're both very active, energetic and playful despite their ages and both are underweight despitee feeding them as much as I can. There's not much food out there to fatten cats up, everything is to keep weight off.
Recently I've noticed they're not as close and bonded as they used to ne. They'll cuddle with the dog but not with each other, if one tries to cuddle they'll fight instead and Skye has cuts on his nose which he's never had before. I'm wondering if they're so used to being part of a larger cat family that there's too much togetherness and they'd do better with a female kitten to bond with and match their energy level. I wouldn't get one now, need to be in a better financial situation first but I'm wondering if they miss having more siblings since they've had so many losses.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How sweet of you to want the best for them, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your other cats. Have you thought of perhaps reintroducing them? (The way you would introduce two cats.) Of course, you know your cats best, but it's possible that perhaps something did happen between them. Either way it sounds like they could use some time away from eachother. Maybe have one of them out roaming the house half of the day, and the other the other half of the day. Feed them through a door, play with them together, and just make sure that every time they're in close proximity - great things happen!

Something has to be gone before you can miss it - and although I have absolutely no expierence with this, I'll admit - maybe that's the same with cats. :)

I'd try that out before resorting to adopt another cat. Unless, of course, you're the one who wants another cat instead!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice I could try that. Skye had to have surgery a few months ago when my dog chewed up a toy and Skye ate some of the stuffing and got a blockage. So Skye was away a lot with vet visits and they seemed to miss each other and be fine then.
They're both so determined to sleep with me it'll be tough to really separate them for long without lots of yowling. That's when the battles are, over the best spot on the bed. If they fight I just push both of them off and say no fighting. If they get along they're both allowed. They get along eating and share food fine.
I do want a 3rd cat but not till my finances are better. I love black cats and I hear that shelters can't adopt them out so I'd be doing a good thing when I can afford another one. 3 is fine, even 4 if I found a desperate stray.

Just not 7!!! Not going back to being a crazy cat lady that was only because I'd promised my dying mom I'd rake care of her cats when she died, and I loved them too.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice I could try that. Skye had to have surgery a few months ago when my dog chewed up a toy and Skye ate some of the stuffing and got a blockage. So Skye was away a lot with vet visits and they seemed to miss each other and be fine then.
They're both so determined to sleep with me it'll be tough to really separate them for long without lots of yowling. That's when the battles are, over the best spot on the bed. If they fight I just push both of them off and say no fighting. If they get along they're both allowed. They get along eating and share food fine.
I do want a 3rd cat but not till my finances are better. I love black cats and I hear that shelters can't adopt them out so I'd be doing a good thing when I can afford another one. 3 is fine, even 4 if I found a desperate stray.

Just not 7!!! Not going back to being a crazy cat lady that was only because I'd promised my dying mom I'd rake care of her cats when she died, and I loved them too.
:alright: :grouphug: :grouphug2: :hearthrob::redheartpump::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::wave3:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They could just be mourning, eventually they will adjust, as you know it takes a long time. i would say up to a year. They may be happier with more 'family' around, you may be too. But don't get more than you can handle, you know how much work introductions are, and that it is a life long commitment.
A brother sister team may be just what you need, they would already be bonded so would have each other during the adjustment period. Remember that females usually want to rule the roost, so getting a female wouldn't be getting a buddy as much as it would be getting a mother figure. Just make sure you don't get an extremely timid, shy little one, you need to try to match the personality of the two you have so the timid one doesn't get bullied.
You will be blessed for loving all these little angels, and even thinking of adding more! All the luck, and keep us posted!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi inkysmom. I had two female cats only 4 months apart in age but they just didn't get on to the point that one would follow me around for company and the other would constantly be outside. When they were in the house together they kept their distance so were no company for each other as I had planned. It took me a year of "should I, shouldn't I" but eventually got a male kitten. After three weeks they bonded great. No fighting or hissing just lots of playing. I never wanted three cats but I am so glad I have them. It worked for me and as your cats are used to other cats I dont see why it shouldn't work for you. Just choose carefully. Let us know what you decide.