Would leaves work?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed when it's really cold out the kitties burrow into the leaves. Well, the leaves are all dry now and I don't have straw. Would that work in my cat shelter?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they are surely better than nothing. In the nature lots of animals do with leaves sleeping through the winter. The "nail-animals" for example...

You can probably also use paper of some sort. Twin it around and make the paper crumbling... Should probably also do.

Although better look out so the letter colour doesnt rub off too easily. Some cheap newspaper paper rubbs of very easily.

Sorry for my bad english, had not looked the word up into the dictonary.
But I think it is understandable awyway.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Yes, they are surely better than nothing. In the nature lots of animals do with leaves sleeping through the winter. The "nail-animals" for example...

You can probably also use paper of some sort. Twin it around and make the paper crumbling... Should probably also do.

Although better look out so the letter colour doesnt rub off too easily. Some cheap newspaper paper rubbs of very easily.

Sorry for my bad english, had not looked the word up into the dictonary.
But I think it is understandable awyway.

Yep, I understand!

Good luck!
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

My bobcats will pile up leaves in their enclosure and sleep on them, so it seems that it works
Thank you both!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they're very dry. Leaves can mold easily so you'll need to check them, and even change them out if you notice them smelling too strongly (decaying).

I'd have thought it would be easy to get a bale of straw in Kansas.
It's very easily to get here - people both use it for animals and Autumn decoration.
The local farm supply store sells it here (Atwoods) - you could try nurseries, too, since it makes a good winter mulch.

Looking it up, I think I'm seeing both in your area - is Derby close?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

As long as they're very dry. Leaves can mold easily so you'll need to check them, and even change them out if you notice them smelling too strongly (decaying).

I'd have thought it would be easy to get a bale of straw in Kansas.
It's very easily to get here - people both use it for animals and Autumn decoration.
The local farm supply store sells it here (Atwoods) - you could try nurseries, too, since it makes a good winter mulch.

Looking it up, I think I'm seeing both in your area - is Derby close?
Oh, it's not hard to find. I'm just broke. I have $7 in my checking after paying for Cammy's surgery and then missing 3 days of work because I've been sick. I just thought leaves would work until I could get something else.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

Oh, it's not hard to find. I'm just broke. I have $7 in my checking after paying for Cammy's surgery and then missing 3 days of work because I've been sick. I just thought leaves would work until I could get something else.
I was mostly thinking you'd probably need something else come next month.

If you need something to emit heat later on (once it gets colder) you could look into something like a Snuggle Safe.

I hope you're feeling better.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
just FYI, When I had my dog Hoover, who was allergic to grass, we used Pine straw (needles) in his doghouse instead of hay. He loved it, and he always smelled nice and fresh. :-)