Would it be really bad if..

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I kept my cat out of the bedroom during the day? at least while I'm not home?

I live in an apartment and the kitchen/livingroom area is quite spacious, but I feel a little guilty restricting his access because my reason for wanting to do this is a pretty selfish.

The problem I'm having is mostly hair. He climbs around in the linen closet, and all over the bed, and everything is filthy all the time from his feet and his hair.. I use a lint roller and a dustbuster nightly but I still need to wash everything every couple of days.

He generally doesn't go in there when I'm home, because I tend to hang out in the livingroom.

What do you guys think? I don't want to be a bad kitty mom, but I don't want to have the place I sleep be dirty all the time either.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls are not allowed in the bedroom at all. Basically because of DH's allergies. But they are also not allowed in our studies when we are not in them. They have the living room, kitchen and both bathrooms freely though. I wouldn't say keeping him out of one room is mean unless your apartment is just that tiny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its really not that small at all. The living room and kitchen are combined into one large room, and the bathroom (where his litterbox is) will be open for him. Maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how he does...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would bother him more if you suddenly started locking him out when you are in there versus when you aren't home. You mentioned that he stays where you are for the most part when you are home, so it might not bother him.

kitcatak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will be just fine and there is nothing mean about it at all. I know a lot of people that have 1 or 2 rooms that they don't want the kitties in. I had to keep my poor kitty Bear locked up in a large dog kennel (the wire kind) for 2 whole months. Now THAT felt mean! He was happy to finally get out, but he had no ill effects from it. (It was for medical reasons).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, why are his feet dirty? Are you talking about litter? As far as a lot of hair on your clothes, etc., try brushing/combing your cat more often to keep the shedding down.

You can keep him out of the bedroom if you want - no need to feel guilty. But remember, if he's shedding, the fur will be throughout the house - and when you sit in chairs, couches, the fur will be there.

***kaz***

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dont feel guilty, there is nothing unfair about it aslong as he has plenty of other space. Giz goes in our wardrobes when he gets the chance. I keep the doors to the bedrooms closed and he has the rest of the house to himself. No need to worry, you arn't being cruel

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

First of all, why are his feet dirty? Are you talking about litter? As far as a lot of hair on your clothes, etc., try brushing/combing your cat more often to keep the shedding down.

You can keep him out of the bedroom if you want - no need to feel guilty. But remember, if he's shedding, the fur will be throughout the house - and when you sit in chairs, couches, the fur will be there.
Yes, I'm talking about litter. I use some stuff made from citrus peel and it he carries it between his toes to my bed where he grooms himself. I put one of those litter mat things next to the box, but it doesn't make too much difference.

He rarely jumps on the couch unless I'm there. He likes the ottoman and the livingroom rug best, and those are much easier places to clean than my bed so I'm grateful! Its not so much of a problem in other rooms. Its more like its just a yucky feeling to get into bed after a long day and feel gritty cat litter in there and know that the pillow is covered in hair despite my efforts to remove it.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried it.
In response, he shredded a roll of toilet paper and dragged it around the house. Looks like I'll have to get more creative.

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't feel guilty! I have never let my two in my bedroom. They have the run of the rest of the house.
I have hair issues and slight allergies too, so it's just best that they don't go in the room I sleep in. Do they want in there with Mommy? Sure they do! But rules are rules. And they have a pretty charmed life otherwise.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bet climbing around in your linen closet and bed gave him something to do during the day while you were gone.
I would leave a few safe toys for him to play with while your gone during the day. One thing that would occupy him is a treat ball. I bought one for Dori and she enjoyed it. It is a round ball what dispenses treats, but it makes the cat work to get them out. It stimulates their mind and helps curve boredom.

Also, is he likes sleeping in the towels you might want to leave one folded up on the couch so he can still enjoy his comfy place to sleep.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NO, you're not a bad kitty mama...don't worry about that!

It's not bad to keep kitty from rooms that you don't want him/her. You might have a time at getting him/her used to it for about a month, but it'll be fine.

As far as the fur being everywhere...might sound dumb if you've tried it, but do you brush kitty? If not, you might try buying a cat brush that has wire bristles that fit into a rubber piece. Does that make sense? The wire bristles seem to be too sharp, but don't worry, kitty'll love them. Another idea, check out online to find what I mean, but they have these brush-type things that are basically a piece of metal in a loop that has teeth on one side. I've heard they're GREAT at picking up fur (as is the other brush I mentioned), and I've also heard cats LOVE them.

Try either one to see what kitty thinks.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do have the loop thing. I guess I should be more vigilant with keeping up with the brushing. He doesn't seem to mind it very much.. but it doesnt seem to make a whole lot of difference. I'm kind of surprised that DSHs shed so much compared to DLHs.. I thought it would be the other way around.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eupnea

I do have the loop thing. I guess I should be more vigilant with keeping up with the brushing. He doesn't seem to mind it very much.. but it doesnt seem to make a whole lot of difference. I'm kind of surprised that DSHs shed so much compared to DLHs.. I thought it would be the other way around.
Yes, most of the time it is the other way around, but it also depends on breed and if they're a mixed breed. I have two that are short-haired, that are a mixed breed, and they both shed quite a bit. We just try to brush them daily (if even for a few minutes), and it seems to help a bit. Lol...

How old is your kitty? I haven't ever tried it, but with your situation you might try asking in another thread about bathing him. I've heard it helps a lot with a kitty that sheds quite a lot. I dunno...like I said, I've never tried it myself, but have heard that it really helps.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back home, the kitties aren't allowed in the attic, and the first thing they did was run up there whenever the door was open. But, they were just curious about it and it was "new" territory.

We've had to lock Z out of our bedrooms, and our apartment is teensy (600 sq ft). Once, when we first got her off the street and she had fleas and other stuff. Then, she was sick and the vomit/poo was all over the house. We didn't want her on the carpet, so. She seemed okay with it, although she was really happy to come back in.

So...
Maybe when you keep him out of the room, you could let him in for just a few minutes a day so he realizes that it isn't all that interesting.

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did try it for about 2 hours today when I had to go out for a bit. He got really mad at me and destroyed a roll of toilet paper and dragged it all over the house.

I'm sort of afraid to try it again, because I don't know what else he might destroy if I lock him out. I think I'll get him a couple of special toys to keep him busy like someone else suggested.

He's allowed in the room when I'm home, but I think the main problem might be that he likes to sleep in the linen closet and I'm keeping him from it. (my closets are set up really weird... there's two in the bedroom)

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eupnea

I did try it for about 2 hours today when I had to go out for a bit. He got really mad at me and destroyed a roll of toilet paper and dragged it all over the house.

I'm sort of afraid to try it again, because I don't know what else he might destroy if I lock him out. I think I'll get him a couple of special toys to keep him busy like someone else suggested.

He's allowed in the room when I'm home, but I think the main problem might be that he likes to sleep in the linen closet and I'm keeping him from it. (my closets are set up really weird... there's two in the bedroom)
Ah...ok. Sorry...lol. BAD IDEA!! Lol...

Yeah, take a look around at some ideas for toys. There are some good ones in a thread someone posted called "Keeping indoor cat stimulated".