Would an automatic litter box help solve inappropriate bathroom habits?

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all; it's been a while.

Imogen and I have reached a sort of tacit agreement. She understands the litter boxes (she has three) and what they are for, but sometimes, she just chooses not to use them. I've learned to understand her, even though I don't like it.

Here's the thing: since the litter boxes are relatively close together, and since the majority of the time that she goes elsewhere it's almost always on the carpet in the same spare bedroom (her litterboxes are located in the closet of said bedroom), I think she perceives the 3 litterboxes as one large area, and once it's been used once, it is no longer clean and another place (i.e., the carpet) must be found.

Now, I've been cleaning with enzyme cleaners and such, and it works...somewhat; though constantly buying the cleaners (tried Anti-Icky Poo and Nature's Miracle, now on a cheaper Kids N Pets brand) is hard on my sanity and my budget. I think the problem would be better solved if I had an automatic litter box that would clean the box each time she uses it, so that she won't have to go elsewhere to find a "clean" space. I'm away from home a lot with work (non-regular work schedule), so I can't often get to her litterbox in time to clean it every time she uses it.

Anyway, my question is this: has anyone else had any experience with a similar situation? Has introducing an automatic litterbox and hopefully helping the cat to understand that every time it "runs," the box is now clean again -- has that helped anyone else here with inappropriate elimination problems? I have considered moving her three litter boxes far away from each other, but I have very very limited space in my apartment, and I think it's time to consolidate to an automatic anyway, provided it will work.

I'm considering this box, once I save up the funds: http://www.amazon.com/Littermaid-LM9...pr_product_top Opinions?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like she doesn't like her litter boxes so close together and/or she doesn't like them in the closet. My guess would be the closet is the biggest issue.

Take them out of the closet and put them all three in the room, spaced apart, instead.

(I am assuming health issues have already been dealt with or ruled out)

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only input I can provide is that I got the idea of several litterboxes in a closet from a friend, and thats worked for him and my cats since I've gotten them.

Cats usually do their darndest to go on a sandy substrate and burry it, so I would be be concerned that there might be a health issue first. Definitely no harm in just moving the litterboxes though, or perhaps just trying a different litter, and if its hooded try unhooded or visa versa, but I'd lean towards treating it just like regular litterbox avoidance where the cat may be experiencing some kind of urinary discomfort.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only add that automatic litter boxes from what I have heard have caused litter box avoidance issues due to "scaring" the cat. The way this is accomplished is due to the litter box "prematurely" scooping. Again this is what I have heard. I have NO experience with automatic litter boxes as I am my own litter maid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Cats usually do their darndest to go on a sandy substrate and burry it, so I would be be concerned that there might be a health issue first.
Hahaha, Imogen must not be a cat, then, as she has done her darndest NOT to do these things since the day I got her

Two separate vets agree that it's a behavioral issue, and that she's just a bit...quirky. I think it may be a bit of a stress thing as well, as I'm sure she has some separation anxiety when I'm away. (And trust me, adding another cat is not the solution. After petsitting a neighbor's cat, which was a nightmare, and after taking Imogen to the vet and to a couple of pet fairs, it's quite clear that she absolutely adores dogs and other people -- weird, right-- and despises other felines. That's the only time I've ever heard her hiss and growl!)

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to try moving the boxes first (if I can find a place for them) and see where that goes, but I'm not holding my breath, lol.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this has been from day one, then I would just start from scratch with litterbox training. There are various articles online with tips.

If its very much out of control, then typically the cat is confined to a small area near the litterbox until reliable habits are assured. A bathroom usually serves well for this purpose.

The litterbox itself may be an issue. Ensure that the litterbox is large enough for the cat to turn completely around in, and some do no like hooded boxes. Litter should generally be kept about 3 inches deep.

The litter itself can be an issue for finicky cats, and from what I have read it is the perfumed litters that are typically the most disagreeable. I haven't used it, but some swear by Dr Esleys cat attract litter. Personally, we use Swheat Scoop Multicat, which is an organic litter made of dried wheat. The litterbox should be cleaned daily and ensure that its not too difficult to get in and out of, and most cats prefer privacy and don't like their box to be in a high traffic area (which is why a closet is usually ideal).

Wesley and Buttercup had to learn not only to use a litterbox with an unfamiliar box style and new litter in the closets, but also how to use a cat door to get in and out of it. While I have taken those off now, and left just a cat door size opening, what worked great for training was lots of positive reinforcement along with greenies treats. When praising while doing business, no eye contact or touching though, but you can pet after they come out if they come up to you, and then give em their favorite treat and pretend like they just pooped a diamond for you. The only downside is that after a while they insisted that I follow them and watch them go potty, so they could get praise and a treat after. Eventually I cut out the treats, but the positive association with the litterboxes definitely stuck.

And if you feed about the same food at exact times (I have a 8-alarm watch), they will do their business on a pretty easy to follow schedule as well. Same input, same output.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd put a litterbox in the spot where she normally poops. Also is she declawed or does she have her claws? My declawed girl had a fondness for scratching on the carpet since the litter hurt her paws, no matter how fine the litter was. Have you tried different types of litter?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to chime in to add - I know it'll be ugly & inconvenient - but put a litterbox where she's having 'accidents'. Once she's using it, you can slowly move it to where the litterboxes normally are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses, guys. To answer your questions, she still has all her claws, and she's not much for digging in the litter anyway. (She never buries anything. Ever. I stand by my assessment that, whatever happened to her in her young life, she was probably taken from her mother too quick and never learned certain essential "cat" things.) Anyway, I currently use WBCL, but could be talked into changing to Swheat Scoop, if I can find it around here.

The problem is, she's not having accidents in just one area. It's everywhere. And it's been like this from the start. I originally thought it was a form of middening due to stress or separation anxiety. (See here: http://www.thecatbehaviorclinic.com/...middening.html,) but eventually she started urinating outside the box, too. Not all the time, mind you; the peeing was much much rarer than the outside-the-box pooping, and happens only occasionally. In neither case does she go back to the same spot over and over again. It's always somewhere different, though usually in "her" room (the spare bedroom.)

Anyway, here's my current plan:
1. Rent a RugDoctor and clean that carpet to death with an enzyme cleaner.
2. Get a low-to-the-ground, under-the-bed Rubbermaid type box and fill it with a big pile of dirt from outside.
3. Clean and refill her regular litterboxes and return them to their current location. At the same time, the big box of dirt will be available for her to use in the other corner of the same room. (Let me explain: I tried to teach her about a year ago to go outside for bathroom needs, and she looooved the dirt, but as my schedule wasn't regular, I often couldn't be home in time to let her out, and as I live in an apartment with a shared, unfenced yard and lots of unfriendly neighbor cats, a pet door or leaving her outside unsupervised is not gonna happen. I also asked the landlord if I could build a small cat enclosure outside, but there isn't much room there, and he said no anyway.
)
4. Burn incense and chant dance and pray for a switch of understanding to flip in her head, lol.

Thoughts?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say all four. xD

It's its an option, maybe buy a bigger litter box, and several types of litter, and put a different kind in each and see if she'll pick one as her fav?? idk X__X

Also, maybe you could try covering up her stuff for her? Maybe she doesn't go back because she can see it and she doesn't want the 'predators' to find her?