Would A Polyp Cause Intermittent Problems?

sdavis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 13/14 year old kitty sometimes has inward-sneezing and breathes hard after eating. Could a polyp cause that but only intermittently?

Other info: She is overweight and has been for many years. We feed her only wet foot, and avoid grains. Right now she's eating Instinct original grain-free rabbit. After one hour of difficult breathing she is fine.

It's been about six weeks since the last incident. However, she does breath a bit hard after walking around most of the time. I had attributed that to age and being overweight.

We HAD been feeding her a different grain-free food but decided it was too gloppy and sort of stuck in her throat. Our theory was that she had trouble swallowing just like older humans do.

Years ago she had horrible dizzy spells. She had to have a bulla osteomy of one ear and a myringoty of the other ear. Sorry for the poor spelling. Goop had accumulated in her inner ears! That probably happened because she had herpes, and frequent URIs that the ex-vet said were no big deal.

I look forward to your comments.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sure you are expecting what I am about to say - a full senior check-up/blood panel needs to be done to see what her overall health status is now. Once that is done, the vet would have a history to work with in terms of probable tests that might need to be performed next. That would include re-checking her ears for new/recurring issues, as well as seeing if her previous URIs caused some permanent issues with her lungs. Her weight along with a lung issue could explain the breathing difficulties during eating.

Does she still have swallowing issues with the new food?

What causes you to think all of her behavior is possibly related to a polyp? Did she act similarly with her past ear issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sdavis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for weighing in! She's been fully checked not long ago and is in excellent health. The best test for a polyp or ear issues is a MRI. I'd hate to drag her in for one of those.

She had not had problems with the new food until this morning. After looking around on the web, I realize she is "reverse sneezing," and that is what made me wonder about a polyp. The vet had also mentioned it when we took her in six weeks ago (and explained only a MRI would test for that).

No, she did not act in similar ways with the ear issues.